Mouse and Keyboard not working after Windows 7 updates

Anonymous
2009-12-09T17:27:39+00:00

I have Windows 7 Home Edition.  My CPU did the latest Windows update overnight, now the keyboard and mouse aren't working.  I have rebooted and unplugged both many times.  I keep coming back to my login screen, but I can't do anything from that point.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-10T04:07:52+00:00

I prsume your keyboard is USB?  If you can find a friend who has an older keyboard with a PS/2 connector, you might try that, F8 again and select Last Known Good.

It's not yesterday's updates per se, because I have them on all my PCs (I hate the 2nd Tuesday in the month because I run around the house like some mad woman making sure 1 Vista 64 bit, 2 Server 2008 R2 64 bit, 2 Windows 7 32 bit and 4 Windows 7 64 bit are all downloading correctly and rebooting if necessary. All keyboards and mice are working fine here.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-09-21T00:06:36+00:00

    This worked for me .Print first if possible

    1. 
    

            1.Install different mouse

    2. Use System Restore to revert computer to a time before offending update(s) were installed
    
    3. Go to Control Panel/System and Security/Windows Updates and amend preferences in dropdown list to “Download updates but let me choose which to install “
    
    4 . The available update(s )s can then be found including those uninstalled by System Restore in 2 above. Re install these one by one( by unticking all the others ) then check the original mouse and keyboard each time until the problem re occurs. Use System
    

    Restore to remove this update

    5. I found that **KB2529073** was the culprit
    
    1. Return to “ Windows Updates“ as in 3 above and tick the offending update and­ also the box “Hide this Update “ Ensure it disappears. Re set preferences to Automatic Updates

    Good luck !

    worked for me - I had new ms ergonomic 4000 keyboard that wouldn't load driver - uninstalled KB as above and all good now - I had called ms support and they were as much use as a chocolate teapot!  Thanks to you Harry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T14:00:59+00:00

    Same problem...Win7 update.  I believe it was the Broadcom Bluetooth 3.0 USB update.  Doing the Restore Point worked for me.  I don't have extra wired keyboard but by accident (and necessity) discovered their is an on-screen keyboard option on the login screen (its the circular icon on lower left).  And luckily had wired usb mouse so was able to navigate screen...oh, and luckily a second computer so I could do all this research to figure out the problem!  Again, pretty lousy testing by Microsoft that has caused many of us a lot of extra time to resolve.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-12T22:30:33+00:00

    the easiest way if you can use your mouse before windows loads is to restart your comp a few times in a row and a prompt for windows start up repair should pop up. use that to restore and you wont lose any data...worked for me... hope that helps the ppl that didnt understand the other answers

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-02T22:18:28+00:00

    I have an HP 600-1000t computer running Win7 Service Pack 1 build 7601, with wireless keyboard and mouse.  Immediately after an automatic Win7 update June 2, 2014, both keyboard and mouse stopped working. Using the touchscreen, I was able to restore to before the update, but to no avail.  I went to the HP website and installed the original drivers.  Nope.  The update appears to have permanently disabled both the wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. Suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments