Mouse and Keyboard not working after Windows 7 updates

Anonymous
2009-12-09T17:27:39+00:00

I have Windows 7 Home Edition.  My CPU did the latest Windows update overnight, now the keyboard and mouse aren't working.  I have rebooted and unplugged both many times.  I keep coming back to my login screen, but I can't do anything from that point.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-10T04:07:52+00:00

I prsume your keyboard is USB?  If you can find a friend who has an older keyboard with a PS/2 connector, you might try that, F8 again and select Last Known Good.

It's not yesterday's updates per se, because I have them on all my PCs (I hate the 2nd Tuesday in the month because I run around the house like some mad woman making sure 1 Vista 64 bit, 2 Server 2008 R2 64 bit, 2 Windows 7 32 bit and 4 Windows 7 64 bit are all downloading correctly and rebooting if necessary. All keyboards and mice are working fine here.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-09-25T06:01:16+00:00

    I've just installed Windows 7 updates and lost contact with mouse & keyboard.

    Both work in BIOS but stop at windows login. Additionally neither work in Safe mode.

    I would like to have a go at this suggestion - however

    • I do not have a PS2 or on screen keyboard to help - as they have for others.
    • A change of mouse did nothing as it to was not recognised.

    I would be grateful for any suggestions

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-11T07:28:48+00:00

    I have Windows 7 Home Edition.  My CPU did the latest Windows update overnight, now the keyboard and mouse aren't working.  I have rebooted and unplugged both many times.  I keep coming back to my login screen, but I can't do anything from that point.

    I faced a similar issue, however my external mouse was working. The keyboard was not working after the Windows 7 Update.

    Following are the steps I did to resolve this issue:

    1. I was using the on screen keyboard to type in the password to login to the system.
    2. After logging in, from Device Manager I uninstalled/removed Keyboard Filter under Keyboards.
    3. After a restart I observed the Keyboard Driver was updated to the PS/2 Driver.
    4. From the drivers disc that I received from the vendor of the laptop I re-installed the Keyboard Filter driver and restarted the computer.

    This fixed the keyboard issue.

    Hope this was helpful.

    Regards,

    Rohit Menon

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-07-21T00:19:13+00:00

    The above worked for me as well.

    Well Done H Roscoe and thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-07-19T19:38:11+00:00

    Okay, so I had a similar problem I upgraded to windows 7 and my USB ports/drivers didn't work. So after two weeks of installing, troubleshooting, screaming at customer service for microsoft and HP. While my computer was on I shut it off, not shut down just shut it off. When you turn the computer back on it automatically ask if you want to go into safe mode. Go into safe mode and then troubleshoot. Restart problem solved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments