Mouse and Keyboard not working after Windows 7 updates

Anonymous
2009-12-09T17:27:39+00:00

I have Windows 7 Home Edition.  My CPU did the latest Windows update overnight, now the keyboard and mouse aren't working.  I have rebooted and unplugged both many times.  I keep coming back to my login screen, but I can't do anything from that point.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-10T04:07:52+00:00

I prsume your keyboard is USB?  If you can find a friend who has an older keyboard with a PS/2 connector, you might try that, F8 again and select Last Known Good.

It's not yesterday's updates per se, because I have them on all my PCs (I hate the 2nd Tuesday in the month because I run around the house like some mad woman making sure 1 Vista 64 bit, 2 Server 2008 R2 64 bit, 2 Windows 7 32 bit and 4 Windows 7 64 bit are all downloading correctly and rebooting if necessary. All keyboards and mice are working fine here.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-05-05T05:58:27+00:00

    I have Windows 7 Home Edition.  My CPU did the latest Windows update overnight, now the keyboard and mouse aren't working.  I have rebooted and unplugged both many times.  I keep coming back to my login screen, but I can't do anything from that point.

    I went through this process to address the same problem.

    1. Replaced batteries with new ones.
    2. Checked that the USB receiver was working on another machine.
    3. Found lots of people having the same answer.
    4. Went to 'Start' typed in 'device manager'. Chekced my Universal Serial Bus Controllers. I had exclamation marks up against them. I uninstalled them and then scanned for hardward changes with the USB receiver in the USB port.

    I could only determine that my USB port or bus controller had been changed at the most recent Windows Update. My keyboard and mice work find again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-03-28T12:42:07+00:00

    Ever since upgrading to windows 7 home premium the wireless key board and mouse are eratic. The key board will skip key stroks or repeat. Mouse movement is eratic and jumpy. Have reloaded drivers with minor resolve. Typing slow helps with key board, need a fix to this...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-10T23:14:35+00:00

    Im facing the same problem after a windows 7 update my keyboard and mouse stop working right after the windows 7 boot logo. Before the boot logo they work fine and I can press F8 and such and they lights on the keyboard come on and stuff . Also I can use like mac or linux boot discs and they work with my keyboard I dont have a restore point I can go back to. cause Also I cant reformat cause I have important files I need to get off my pc. I have a Dell computer and I dont have older keyboard ports only use ports. I also checked other devices like I have an external dvd burner and plug it in when windows starts and it works fine in the use ports, Also flash drives work fine too. /What could be the problem? Someome please help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-12-10T00:08:44+00:00

    I have tried to reboot in Safe mode too.  My keyboard won't even react to pressing F8.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments