Mouse and Keyboard not working after Windows 7 updates

Anonymous
2009-12-09T17:27:39+00:00

I have Windows 7 Home Edition.  My CPU did the latest Windows update overnight, now the keyboard and mouse aren't working.  I have rebooted and unplugged both many times.  I keep coming back to my login screen, but I can't do anything from that point.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-10T04:07:52+00:00

I prsume your keyboard is USB?  If you can find a friend who has an older keyboard with a PS/2 connector, you might try that, F8 again and select Last Known Good.

It's not yesterday's updates per se, because I have them on all my PCs (I hate the 2nd Tuesday in the month because I run around the house like some mad woman making sure 1 Vista 64 bit, 2 Server 2008 R2 64 bit, 2 Windows 7 32 bit and 4 Windows 7 64 bit are all downloading correctly and rebooting if necessary. All keyboards and mice are working fine here.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-12T03:44:03+00:00

    I have a Dell laptop, on which the latest Windows 7 update disabled the keyboard. I know it's not a hardware problem, because I can do a system restore to before the update and everything works fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-17T06:31:24+00:00

    I prsume your keyboard is USB?  If you can find a friend who has an older keyboard with a PS/2 connector, you might try that, F8 again and select Last Known Good.

    It's not yesterday's updates per se, because I have them on all my PCs (I hate the 2nd Tuesday in the month because I run around the house like some mad woman making sure 1 Vista 64 bit, 2 Server 2008 R2 64 bit, 2 Windows 7 32 bit and 4 Windows 7 64 bit are all downloading correctly and rebooting if necessary. All keyboards and mice are working fine here.

    I. Have tried 3 types ofkeyboards, 2 mice and a touchpad. All of which have worked on this PC just fine. I have reset and configured my bios in every possible way. The keyboard and mouse work until log on. As soon as Windows boots.they stop. Please help me. I have 8 hours trying everything I know how. I'm frustrated 😰

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-02T22:18:28+00:00

    I have an HP 600-1000t computer running Win7 Service Pack 1 build 7601, with wireless keyboard and mouse.  Immediately after an automatic Win7 update June 2, 2014, both keyboard and mouse stopped working. Using the touchscreen, I was able to restore to before the update, but to no avail.  I went to the HP website and installed the original drivers.  Nope.  The update appears to have permanently disabled both the wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. Suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-02-12T22:30:33+00:00

    the easiest way if you can use your mouse before windows loads is to restart your comp a few times in a row and a prompt for windows start up repair should pop up. use that to restore and you wont lose any data...worked for me... hope that helps the ppl that didnt understand the other answers

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments