Error 1720. There is a problem with this windows installer package.

Anonymous
2009-08-31T17:04:58+00:00

I can uninstall Ask.com toolbar script a

Philip Black [09:46]: Error 1720. contact support personnel or package vendor -can't run script vbisff open uninstall script error-path not found?

There is a problem with this windows installer package.

I can't uninstall Ask.com toolbar script and program icon i

 *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-12-01T20:33:29+00:00

Dec. 12, 2013 - Here's the Paint.Net fix!  I could not install, uninstall or even use Paint.Net without getting the following message. 

"Error: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor” when trying to uninstall Paint.net"

After trying to uninstall and reinstall Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP 1, as suggested at one Microsoft site, I found the following link whichtotally resolved "ALL" my Paint.Net installation problems.

Microsoft Fix-It

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program\_Install\_and\_Uninstall

After using Microsoft Fix-It, the program states that this service is no longer available but thankfully it's still working at the time of this comment.  Good Luck!

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-18T04:02:19+00:00

I have the same problem.  Unable to uninstall programs. 

Vista64 Home Premium.  My error code is 1719 not 1720 but it says the same thing. Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.  This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.  Contact your "support personnel for assistance." I am my own support, unfortunately. 

I have unregistered and re-registered the file.  There are instructions on how to fix this unless you are a vista user and no instructions on how to fix this error related to Vista or Vista64.

The steps here suggesting I download the installer does not work either.  In fact when I select my version of Vista and download the file and try to run it a popup tells me its not the appropriate version for my version of Windows Vista.  It is! 

Step 1.  AFter finding and downloading and running the appropriate installer download, a popup tell me its the wrong version.  It wasnt.

Step 2.  I stopped the service, then restarted: no help.  Set it to Manual and Automatic; no help.

Step 3.  Cannot help until possibly AFTER I get the installer working.

I cannot find help for this error.  Apparently the Installer 4.5 is PART of Vista and replacing the file is not an option.  I have had this problem for quite awhile.  Have been searching for a solution off and on and have not solved it yet.

Please help if you can.  COMPUTER RUNS VISTA64 HOME PREMIUM. THANKS

Kmlure

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-09-01T16:54:05+00:00

Hey Thechiflows,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forum!

Step1:

To get rid of this error, I would suggest you to install the latest version of Windows Installer which you can download it from the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4&displaylang=en

Step2:

Start the Windows Installer service.

  1. Click Start, type Services.msc and press [ENTER]
  2. Double-click Windows Installer.
  3. Set the Startup type of Windows Installer to Manual.
  4. Click Start to start the service. Note down the error message if any.
  5. Click OK.

Step3:

The Windows Installer CleanUp utility deletes all files and registry settings associated with a program's Windows Installer configuration.

Refer the article below which talks about the description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Let us know if the above steps help you.

We look forward to hear back from you.

Regards,

Manasa P-Microsoft Support

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-04-29T21:47:41+00:00

    Hi folks:  Now back to the problem with Windows Installer.  I also cannot install some programs.  I keep getting error code 1719 and am running Vista64 bit.  I cannot find a resolution to my problem.  Kmlure, have you found a solution to this problem??  I read that you can now write to your external drive and I am glad someone found a solution to a Vista problem, they are few and far between.  I have gone to other web sites and asked for help from some really smart people, and they said "I'm out of ideas" and so am I.  I have had this problem since Dec. 09, and now of course my pc is out of warranty.  And, I to am my own tech support.  So any help you can give (if you have any) would be greatly appreciated.

    Help Please!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-29T22:21:15+00:00

    Manasa P:  Hi, I tried what you said and no help.  I have tried everything in this post and still nothing.  Now, again, I am running Vista64 bit, and have been pretty happy with it until now.  I must say , there have been a lot of issues to address since I bought this PC. And I have had to do some things I have never had to do before just to keep things running.  But, anyway, I do have a twist to this problem.  Before I get the error code 1719, I get an error code 1904.  Now that doesn't seem to be part of what people are saying.  But, my main issue (I think) is the installer problem.

    I am in the same position as Kmlure, I am my own tech support, so I am looking to this forum to help me out.  I have already done everything in this post and still have the problem.  I have also gone to another support forum(BBS Windows), and they are at a loss as what to do next.  All of you are very smart and I am sitting here tring to figure out what to do next, so what every you can help me work through will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,  Help and Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments