Vista won't boot - System restore/Startup repair can't fix

Anonymous
2009-02-23T21:29:36+00:00

Have Vista running on Dell Inspiron 1720. All of a sudden I can't start Windows. Startup Repair cant fix the problem and System restore can't seem to solve the problem either. Am starting to panic.

Startup Repair listed the following as the problem details but it leaves me clueless.

Problem Event Name:Startup repairV2

Problem Signature 01:  AutoFailure

Prob Sig 02:  6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001.18000

Prob Sig 03:  6

Prob Sig 04:  786444

Prob Sig 05:  Corruptvolume

Prob Sig 06:  NoRootCause

Prob Sig 07:  0

Prob Sig 08:  2

Prob Sig 09:  WrpRepair

Prob Sig 10:  87

OS Version:  6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Local ID:  1003

Have used Dell pre-boot checks and all physical systems seem fine so must be software. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-02-24T04:30:46+00:00

Hello Buzbyb6,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

I have some questions for you to help with troubleshooting your issue.

  • When trying to boot do you get a blue screen? If so, then try to get the error code number that comes up. That will give us more insight as to what could be causing your issue.
  • Can you boot into Safe Mode? Press F8 as Vista is starting up. then select Safe Mode.

Some of the things that could cause this issue would be a corrupt file system, bad Ram, or faulty hardware.

  • If you can get into safe mode. Run CHKDSK to fix the file system. Go to a command prompt and type chkdsk /r
  • Check the RAM using Memtest from a bootable floppy or CD. www.memtest.org
  • Check the HDD for bad sectors.
  • If its just a corrupted OS, backup your data and run Recovery to restore Windows to its factory state.

Please post again and let us know if your issue is resolved or if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,


Marilyn

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-24T01:44:44+00:00

    Just unplug all cables put back on again , it will work

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-01-12T22:50:45+00:00

    so my laptop is doin the same thing and safemode doesnt work. no restore points. now what? please help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2012-05-18T00:47:27+00:00

    Oh man...I am such an idiot!  No offense to anyone else out there that hasn't figured this out.

    I was having trouble with the blue screen thing and the computer wouldn't allow me to do anything to fix it (by trouble I mean working on it for 6 straight hours).  I tried putting in the Vista CD, an old XP CD and a friends Win 7 CD and nothing worked.

    I pressed F2 and went into the setup and change the order of the boot from HDD to CD/DVD but that didn't help.

    I was just about ready to throw the computer out the window when I noticed a little "!" mark next to the CD/DVD boot order in F2.

    I then read the little information box next to the boot order and realized that if I pressed shift 1 that it would either turn on the CD/DVD or the HDD or turn it off.  If there is a little ! mark next to the option then it is off.  If there isn't one there then it is on.

    For some reason my computer shut off the CD/DVD option which wasn't allowing me to use the drive to load up any bootable disks. 

    I turned the CD/DVD drive back on by pressing shift 1.

    I put my OS DVD in the drive and restarted the computer.  Success!!!!

    Now down on the left hand corner of the screen will be the option to repair Windows.  Click on this not the big INSTALL button in the middle of the screen.

    This allowed me to reinstall the OS without deleting all my files!

    Good luck everyone! I hope this helps you too!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments