Vista won't boot - System restore/Startup repair can't fix

Anonymous
2009-02-23T21:29:36+00:00

Have Vista running on Dell Inspiron 1720. All of a sudden I can't start Windows. Startup Repair cant fix the problem and System restore can't seem to solve the problem either. Am starting to panic.

Startup Repair listed the following as the problem details but it leaves me clueless.

Problem Event Name:Startup repairV2

Problem Signature 01:  AutoFailure

Prob Sig 02:  6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001.18000

Prob Sig 03:  6

Prob Sig 04:  786444

Prob Sig 05:  Corruptvolume

Prob Sig 06:  NoRootCause

Prob Sig 07:  0

Prob Sig 08:  2

Prob Sig 09:  WrpRepair

Prob Sig 10:  87

OS Version:  6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Local ID:  1003

Have used Dell pre-boot checks and all physical systems seem fine so must be software. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-02-24T04:30:46+00:00

Hello Buzbyb6,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

I have some questions for you to help with troubleshooting your issue.

  • When trying to boot do you get a blue screen? If so, then try to get the error code number that comes up. That will give us more insight as to what could be causing your issue.
  • Can you boot into Safe Mode? Press F8 as Vista is starting up. then select Safe Mode.

Some of the things that could cause this issue would be a corrupt file system, bad Ram, or faulty hardware.

  • If you can get into safe mode. Run CHKDSK to fix the file system. Go to a command prompt and type chkdsk /r
  • Check the RAM using Memtest from a bootable floppy or CD. www.memtest.org
  • Check the HDD for bad sectors.
  • If its just a corrupted OS, backup your data and run Recovery to restore Windows to its factory state.

Please post again and let us know if your issue is resolved or if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,


Marilyn

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-12-12T03:48:39+00:00

    I'll tell you what DELL users, you're certainly not alone. I have a HP Vista setup... And it not only did this to me last week (after it shut down and stopped my virgin/radial point spyware and virus working) but I had to reinstall windows, the internet, netgear router, lost data the lot... told myself I'd be more careful next time as I didn't want to lose all my stuff again. Lasted about a month... Just happened to me tonight, I'm on my blackberry pissed off looking for solutions.. This time it was slightly different... My msn would not let me connect, nor would my web browsers not connect to the internet, due to "connection resetting itself"... When I did a system restore, the internet worked... But my Virgin security guard didn't work, so I "reinstalled spyware software"... Restarted so it would work, and then got the same problem, no connection to internet, even tho there's a connection as my PS3 would work... So it came down to... Do I want full working internet, without security... Or do I want full working security, without working internet, making security pointless. I thought its ridiculous, so I did another restore, this time 7 days back, instead of just 3, just to be sure... When computer was starting up I got a "loading files" white bar, then a blue screen... I tried the F8 - 'restore to last known good setup' idea, which sounded ever so promising, but did not work... Now I am at a loss as to how to fix this thing at all... Looking like ill have to install everythin and start afresh, again... To be fair, I'd much rather throw it through the window and go "office space" on it, but I need my computer more than ever these next few months :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-12-18T20:42:11+00:00

    I've repaired 3 few laptops with this exact problem in just the past 2 weeks.  Two sucessfully responded to some form of restore or repair from the F8 menu at startup.  One required a full system restore.  If a full system restore is the only option and you have files you can't afford to lose, you can physically remove the hard drive, connect it to another computer, and copy your critical files to that computer.  Then reinstall the hard drive and run the restore utility.  To connect the hard drive to another computer, you will either need to purchase either a hard drive adapter (about $40.00) or a 2.5" drive enclosure (about $20.00).  If you choose a drive enclosure, make sure it supports the type of drive you have (usually SATA) and that it supports your drive's capacity.  You will still have to reinstall all of your programs, but at least you won't loose your personal files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-02-17T04:55:43+00:00

    I have the same issue all of a suddon my computer shut down now windows wont boot ,  wont restore , i cant go in safe mode, says there are no restore points,cant full restore cause it cant find back up files? im operating in a limited state and it just keeps wanting to run scan disk / repair but it stops and says vista cant fix  the problem?? My computer didnt come with a restore disk so now what?????????????

    I had the same problem, Vista won't load, then it goes to the repair disk and never stops.  Can't get into safe mode or repair from the F8 screen either.  I repaired this by locating my OS reinstallation disc.  Then started while clicking on F2.   Click on booting options, unselect everything except for CD/DVD drive, so it will ONLY boot from the OS reinstallation disc.  PUt the disc into the drive and restart the computer.  It will walk you through and will repair your computer.  When it restarts, you will have to press F2 again and re-select the other drives to boot from.  Then my computer started right up and I didn't lose any information.   I am now going to back EVERYTHING up again in case something worse happens!  LOL!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-03-21T18:34:03+00:00

    Ok, this may have just been a fluke but when i had run the startup it said that they couldnt fix it blah blah blah. Well, i clicked dont send and then finish. I then just turned of my pc and reloaded it. Then i clicked F12 and i just clicked on the option which said my hardrive. It then just loaded perfectly. I dunno if this was just a fluke, but its worth a try. Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments