Vista won't boot - System restore/Startup repair can't fix

Anonymous
2009-02-23T21:29:36+00:00

Have Vista running on Dell Inspiron 1720. All of a sudden I can't start Windows. Startup Repair cant fix the problem and System restore can't seem to solve the problem either. Am starting to panic.

Startup Repair listed the following as the problem details but it leaves me clueless.

Problem Event Name:Startup repairV2

Problem Signature 01:  AutoFailure

Prob Sig 02:  6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001.18000

Prob Sig 03:  6

Prob Sig 04:  786444

Prob Sig 05:  Corruptvolume

Prob Sig 06:  NoRootCause

Prob Sig 07:  0

Prob Sig 08:  2

Prob Sig 09:  WrpRepair

Prob Sig 10:  87

OS Version:  6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Local ID:  1003

Have used Dell pre-boot checks and all physical systems seem fine so must be software. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-02-24T04:30:46+00:00

Hello Buzbyb6,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

I have some questions for you to help with troubleshooting your issue.

  • When trying to boot do you get a blue screen? If so, then try to get the error code number that comes up. That will give us more insight as to what could be causing your issue.
  • Can you boot into Safe Mode? Press F8 as Vista is starting up. then select Safe Mode.

Some of the things that could cause this issue would be a corrupt file system, bad Ram, or faulty hardware.

  • If you can get into safe mode. Run CHKDSK to fix the file system. Go to a command prompt and type chkdsk /r
  • Check the RAM using Memtest from a bootable floppy or CD. www.memtest.org
  • Check the HDD for bad sectors.
  • If its just a corrupted OS, backup your data and run Recovery to restore Windows to its factory state.

Please post again and let us know if your issue is resolved or if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,


Marilyn

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-10-07T07:43:14+00:00

    HELP!!!  I am having this same problem and have spent hours on it to no avail.  I've tried system restore going back 5 days, but they all fail.  All set-up tests have come up fine, but won't boot, won't restore.

    So it sounds like from the last post someone found a solution, but I'm not entirely sure how to implement it.  Can you break it down in to simple steps of what I do from the minute I hit the start button?  I'll be FOREVER grateful.

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-10-07T11:43:42+00:00

    Hi,

    I think he meant Last Known Good Configuration from Safe Mode Prompt.

    Repeatedly tap F8 as you boot up - Select "Last Known Good Configuration"

    Loading Windows Vista into Safe Mode 

    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2246&page=2

    Hope this helps.


    Rob - Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-10-07T19:31:51+00:00

    OK, I tried this with no success.  Boot up still does the same thing -- splash screen, then power save mode goes on and nothing more happens.  Either with this, or with trying to reboot in safe mode, I get a brief flash of the blue error screen, but it is impossible to read in the fraction of a second it is up.  I've tried running every test in the utility mode and it passes all checks but still won't boot.  Dell did not give me a reboot disk, although I have one from HP, my other computer.  Should I try reinstalling vista?  Should I restore to factory settings?  Help!!!!  What can I do that is the lowest impact fix to get it to work?

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-01-10T06:25:39+00:00

    HELP! I have the same problem~

    This computer has all of my work on it. If anyone can help please do, your time will be most appreciated!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments