Vista won't boot - System restore/Startup repair can't fix

Anonymous
2009-02-23T21:29:36+00:00

Have Vista running on Dell Inspiron 1720. All of a sudden I can't start Windows. Startup Repair cant fix the problem and System restore can't seem to solve the problem either. Am starting to panic.

Startup Repair listed the following as the problem details but it leaves me clueless.

Problem Event Name:Startup repairV2

Problem Signature 01:  AutoFailure

Prob Sig 02:  6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001.18000

Prob Sig 03:  6

Prob Sig 04:  786444

Prob Sig 05:  Corruptvolume

Prob Sig 06:  NoRootCause

Prob Sig 07:  0

Prob Sig 08:  2

Prob Sig 09:  WrpRepair

Prob Sig 10:  87

OS Version:  6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Local ID:  1003

Have used Dell pre-boot checks and all physical systems seem fine so must be software. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-02-24T04:30:46+00:00

Hello Buzbyb6,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

I have some questions for you to help with troubleshooting your issue.

  • When trying to boot do you get a blue screen? If so, then try to get the error code number that comes up. That will give us more insight as to what could be causing your issue.
  • Can you boot into Safe Mode? Press F8 as Vista is starting up. then select Safe Mode.

Some of the things that could cause this issue would be a corrupt file system, bad Ram, or faulty hardware.

  • If you can get into safe mode. Run CHKDSK to fix the file system. Go to a command prompt and type chkdsk /r
  • Check the RAM using Memtest from a bootable floppy or CD. www.memtest.org
  • Check the HDD for bad sectors.
  • If its just a corrupted OS, backup your data and run Recovery to restore Windows to its factory state.

Please post again and let us know if your issue is resolved or if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,


Marilyn

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-15T05:00:28+00:00

    Hi

    I am having the exact same problem for 2 days. Windows could not start , that Startup repair got launched but never stops, never gets anywhere.... Not even an error message ...

    Did someone already please get a serious reply from MS on how to fix this ? Of course, loosing all my personal data is not an option. I cant even make a backup as I cant go beyond the step of the StartUp Repair.

     

    I WAS able to get the resolved by Microsoft.  The problem occurs when there is an incomplete install of one of their automatic updates (in my case SP2).  Since the process didn't complete, the computer doesn't have all the components it needs to boot and all restore or repair options fail.

    Solution was to essentially reinstall Vista.  This did NOT lose data (e.g., personal files), but it did wipe out all applications.  So after Vista was reinstalled, you have to reinstall all apps and reset all settings, etc.  This was very time consuming for me so I tried VERY hard to get them to give me a solution that works that didn't require the full OS reinstall, but after several hours over several service calls of trying, nothing worked and so I went for a full reinstall.  While painful, that permanently solved the problem. 

    There is free service support for SP2 issues, but hurry, as it expires Aug 30.  Follow link below:

    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?prid=13014&gprid=582034&st=1&wfxredirect=1 

    Good luck and hope this helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-07-14T11:31:58+00:00

    Hi

    I am having the exact same problem for 2 days. Windows could not start , that Startup repair got launched but never stops, never gets anywhere.... Not even an error message ...

    Did someone already please get a serious reply from MS on how to fix this ? Of course, loosing all my personal data is not an option. I cant even make a backup as I cant go beyond the step of the StartUp Repair.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-09T06:18:18+00:00

    i had the sam problem with my computer as well. you see i am trying to fix it as i write this. so what i did was tyoe in the code that you gave to help this person, and then next thing you know, i think my computer is working. but it is taking for evea to fix this. ohwell thanks.

    love, peace

    &

    laterz.

    thanz agian I really needed this

    p.s using some ones computer right now to write this, had to say that so it would make since on how i could write this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-06-29T04:06:08+00:00

    I agree. I have been through a lot of things over the past few years as a new computer owner, but this is something I cannot seem to fix. I have all my pictures of my children on there and just recently started to upload them online....None of the old ones however. My computer is the only place I have pictures of my youngest for some reason. We had a pretty bad virus...that was boasting itself to be an anti-virus that I just cleared up, along with updates last week. I have been working on this issue the past week trying to resolve it without wiping it clean or taking it to someone who is going to charge me an arm and a leg. I'm going to try the knoppix that was recommended above. I'll let you know if it works for me or not. My computer is an emachines and it has Vista Home Premium on it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments