Vista won't boot - System restore/Startup repair can't fix

Anonymous
2009-02-23T21:29:36+00:00

Have Vista running on Dell Inspiron 1720. All of a sudden I can't start Windows. Startup Repair cant fix the problem and System restore can't seem to solve the problem either. Am starting to panic.

Startup Repair listed the following as the problem details but it leaves me clueless.

Problem Event Name:Startup repairV2

Problem Signature 01:  AutoFailure

Prob Sig 02:  6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001.18000

Prob Sig 03:  6

Prob Sig 04:  786444

Prob Sig 05:  Corruptvolume

Prob Sig 06:  NoRootCause

Prob Sig 07:  0

Prob Sig 08:  2

Prob Sig 09:  WrpRepair

Prob Sig 10:  87

OS Version:  6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Local ID:  1003

Have used Dell pre-boot checks and all physical systems seem fine so must be software. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-02-24T04:30:46+00:00

Hello Buzbyb6,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

I have some questions for you to help with troubleshooting your issue.

  • When trying to boot do you get a blue screen? If so, then try to get the error code number that comes up. That will give us more insight as to what could be causing your issue.
  • Can you boot into Safe Mode? Press F8 as Vista is starting up. then select Safe Mode.

Some of the things that could cause this issue would be a corrupt file system, bad Ram, or faulty hardware.

  • If you can get into safe mode. Run CHKDSK to fix the file system. Go to a command prompt and type chkdsk /r
  • Check the RAM using Memtest from a bootable floppy or CD. www.memtest.org
  • Check the HDD for bad sectors.
  • If its just a corrupted OS, backup your data and run Recovery to restore Windows to its factory state.

Please post again and let us know if your issue is resolved or if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,


Marilyn

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-12-12T03:48:39+00:00

    I'll tell you what DELL users, you're certainly not alone. I have a HP Vista setup... And it not only did this to me last week (after it shut down and stopped my virgin/radial point spyware and virus working) but I had to reinstall windows, the internet, netgear router, lost data the lot... told myself I'd be more careful next time as I didn't want to lose all my stuff again. Lasted about a month... Just happened to me tonight, I'm on my blackberry pissed off looking for solutions.. This time it was slightly different... My msn would not let me connect, nor would my web browsers not connect to the internet, due to "connection resetting itself"... When I did a system restore, the internet worked... But my Virgin security guard didn't work, so I "reinstalled spyware software"... Restarted so it would work, and then got the same problem, no connection to internet, even tho there's a connection as my PS3 would work... So it came down to... Do I want full working internet, without security... Or do I want full working security, without working internet, making security pointless. I thought its ridiculous, so I did another restore, this time 7 days back, instead of just 3, just to be sure... When computer was starting up I got a "loading files" white bar, then a blue screen... I tried the F8 - 'restore to last known good setup' idea, which sounded ever so promising, but did not work... Now I am at a loss as to how to fix this thing at all... Looking like ill have to install everythin and start afresh, again... To be fair, I'd much rather throw it through the window and go "office space" on it, but I need my computer more than ever these next few months :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-10-26T12:26:37+00:00

    ***THIS FIX IS ONLY FOR 0X0000C1F5 ONLY! IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER BSOD CODE, GOOGLE IT FOR AN ALTERNATIVE METHOD***

    STOP PRESS - There is now an alternative! - Insert a Windows 7 Installation disc, boot into the first part of the installation and cancel the install. It fixes the corrupt $TfxLog.

    I restarted the pc again, went througth the startup repair till I chose again other options. This time I chose DELL Factory Image Restore, which was successful! Now I will have to install other application, internet connection etc. But at least I got the pc working! Now it will have to be goodbye to Vista and upgrade to Win7!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-17T20:09:08+00:00

    Dell Insiron 531

    Why Vista will not load?

    Serious problem with Vista Home Premium 32 bit

    Urgent help needed!!!

    After updating Vista with SP1 had a power surge and when I switched the PC back on I got a blue screen error appears

    “A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer”

    Stop:0x0000c1F5 (oxoooooooo, oxoooooooo, oxoooooooo, oxoooooooo)

    I’ve launched Start-up repair (Recommended), - returns same error message

    Tried to start windows in Safe Mode – Loads a load of drivers and then - returns same error message

    Tried to start windows with Command Prompt- returns same error message

    Tried with CD in the drive, says, windows is loading files, can see the progress bar but then it returns to the error message again!

    Would appreciate any help to get windows to load, at the moment all I can get into is the BIOS!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-07-15T05:08:47+00:00

    Hi,

    Are  you able to access Safe Mode - repeatedly tap F8 as you boot?

    This coud be a serious error and need tech support from a real computer shop (not leeks and peeks

    at a BestBuy or other BigBox Stores) or your System maker's Support.

    Go into Setup/Settings (BIOS/CMOS) often F2 as you boot so watch screen as you startup. Set the

    boot order to CD/DVD to use Vista disks. Remember to set back when done.

    With a Vista or Repair disk try Startup Repair - (the possible fixes are same as these though the titles

    are named differently.)

    This tells you how to access the System Recovery Options and/or use a Vista Disk

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/326b756b-1601-435e-99d0-1585439470351033.mspx

    Try StartUp Repair from Recovery Options or Vista disk.

    How to do a Startup Repair

    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91467-startup-repair.html

    Possible fixes for that error are same as for these :

    Unable to boot in windows vista- windows boot configuration data file is missing required information -

    Repair Corrupt Boot Manager

    http://www.troublefixers.com/unable-to-boot-in-windows-vista-windows-boot-configuration-data-file-is-missing-required-information/

    How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair

    startup issues in Windows Vista

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

    How to fix "BOOTMGR is missing" in Windows Vista

    http://cyberst0rm.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-to-fix-bootmgr-is-missing-in.html

    Error message when you start Windows Vista: "The Windows Boot Configuration Data file is missing

    required information"

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391

    Vista Tip: Repair "BOOTMGR is missing" error - a quick how to

    http://lifehacker.com/251733/vista-tip--repair-bootmgr-is-missing-error

    See this section here - To repair/rebuild the Boot Config Data Use the Bootrec.exe Tool

    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/163304-dual-boot-using-free-partitioning-software.html

    =========================================

    If you do not have a Vista disk you can borrow a friends as they are not copy protected. Your

    System maker will also sell the physical DVD cheap since you already own Windows. Also you

    can make a repair disk on another computer.

    If you need to make repair disks - these help repair Windows not re-install.

    How to Make a Bootable Disk in Vista

    http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/7050.aspx

    Download: Windows Vista x86 (32 bit) Recovery Disc

    http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download-windows-vista-x64-recovery-disc/

    Download: Windows Vista x64 (64 bit) Recovery Disc

    http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download-windows-vista-x64-recovery-disc/

    How to Make a Windows Vista Repair Disk If You Don’t Have One

    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-make-a-windows-vista-repair-disk-if-you-dont-have-one/

    ==========================================

    These "may" help :

    Also from the COMMAND PROMPT of Recovery Console (if possible) or a Vista disk

    SFC /scannow

    Hit Enter

    and after that runs

    chkdsk /f /r

    Hit Enter

    ( Spaces between C and /   k and /  and f and / )

    Retry Startup Repair after Chkdsk.

    If needed after those you can retry System Restore from the Recovery or Vista disk.

    How to Do a System Restore in Vista

    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html

    Or from the Command Prompt :

    C:\Windows\System32\rstrui.exe

    Hope this helps.


    Rob Brown - MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments