Vista won't boot - System restore/Startup repair can't fix

Anonymous
2009-02-23T21:29:36+00:00

Have Vista running on Dell Inspiron 1720. All of a sudden I can't start Windows. Startup Repair cant fix the problem and System restore can't seem to solve the problem either. Am starting to panic.

Startup Repair listed the following as the problem details but it leaves me clueless.

Problem Event Name:Startup repairV2

Problem Signature 01:  AutoFailure

Prob Sig 02:  6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001.18000

Prob Sig 03:  6

Prob Sig 04:  786444

Prob Sig 05:  Corruptvolume

Prob Sig 06:  NoRootCause

Prob Sig 07:  0

Prob Sig 08:  2

Prob Sig 09:  WrpRepair

Prob Sig 10:  87

OS Version:  6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Local ID:  1003

Have used Dell pre-boot checks and all physical systems seem fine so must be software. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-02-24T04:30:46+00:00

Hello Buzbyb6,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

I have some questions for you to help with troubleshooting your issue.

  • When trying to boot do you get a blue screen? If so, then try to get the error code number that comes up. That will give us more insight as to what could be causing your issue.
  • Can you boot into Safe Mode? Press F8 as Vista is starting up. then select Safe Mode.

Some of the things that could cause this issue would be a corrupt file system, bad Ram, or faulty hardware.

  • If you can get into safe mode. Run CHKDSK to fix the file system. Go to a command prompt and type chkdsk /r
  • Check the RAM using Memtest from a bootable floppy or CD. www.memtest.org
  • Check the HDD for bad sectors.
  • If its just a corrupted OS, backup your data and run Recovery to restore Windows to its factory state.

Please post again and let us know if your issue is resolved or if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,


Marilyn

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-21T12:45:19+00:00

    joann3 replied on

    I had this problem and found it referred to disk drive A for start up. I don't have that drive. I remember tapping F8 in the F2 page and some how found the setup up for the A disk drive and changed that. It was a different page than the usual one that you use to line up which drive to use first.

    Drive A even showed up on the Computer page that lists your drives.

    I am sorry to be so vague, but I stumbled on the fix and didn't take notes. Hopefully this will point you in the right direction.

    My computer is an Inspiron with Windows Vista.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-21T12:39:47+00:00

    I had this problem and found it referred to disk drive A for start up.  I don't have that drive.  I remember tapping F8 in the F2 page and some how found the setup up for the A disk drive and changed that.  It was a different page than the usual one that you use to line up which drive to use first.

    Drive A even showed up on the Computer page that lists your drives.

    I am sorry to be so vague, but I stumbled on the fix and didn't take notes.  Hopefully this will point you in the right direction.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-27T17:30:56+00:00

    Hi,

    I think he meant Last Known Good Configuration from Safe Mode Prompt.

    Repeatedly tap F8 as you boot up - Select "Last Known Good Configuration"

    Loading Windows Vista into Safe Mode 

    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2246&page=2

    Hope this helps.


    Rob - Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

    Hi...thank god I read that!  It did work for me....thanks for the tip!  I had the same darn problem figured I would be buying a new computer..but, tried your fix and it worked...many thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-12-11T21:13:44+00:00

    Hi anybodyhome,

    This is an older thread and complex issues are difficult to resolve for more than one

    person per thread. So please start your own thread in the forum for your version of

    Windows. Also please include all the information we need to help us help you.

    Microsoft Community - Windows Forums

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows 

    How to ask a question

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 

    We will definitely try to help.

    Hope this helps.


    Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle <- Mark Twain said it right!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments