Vista won't boot - System restore/Startup repair can't fix

Anonymous
2009-02-23T21:29:36+00:00

Have Vista running on Dell Inspiron 1720. All of a sudden I can't start Windows. Startup Repair cant fix the problem and System restore can't seem to solve the problem either. Am starting to panic.

Startup Repair listed the following as the problem details but it leaves me clueless.

Problem Event Name:Startup repairV2

Problem Signature 01:  AutoFailure

Prob Sig 02:  6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001.18000

Prob Sig 03:  6

Prob Sig 04:  786444

Prob Sig 05:  Corruptvolume

Prob Sig 06:  NoRootCause

Prob Sig 07:  0

Prob Sig 08:  2

Prob Sig 09:  WrpRepair

Prob Sig 10:  87

OS Version:  6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Local ID:  1003

Have used Dell pre-boot checks and all physical systems seem fine so must be software. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-02-24T04:30:46+00:00

Hello Buzbyb6,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

I have some questions for you to help with troubleshooting your issue.

  • When trying to boot do you get a blue screen? If so, then try to get the error code number that comes up. That will give us more insight as to what could be causing your issue.
  • Can you boot into Safe Mode? Press F8 as Vista is starting up. then select Safe Mode.

Some of the things that could cause this issue would be a corrupt file system, bad Ram, or faulty hardware.

  • If you can get into safe mode. Run CHKDSK to fix the file system. Go to a command prompt and type chkdsk /r
  • Check the RAM using Memtest from a bootable floppy or CD. www.memtest.org
  • Check the HDD for bad sectors.
  • If its just a corrupted OS, backup your data and run Recovery to restore Windows to its factory state.

Please post again and let us know if your issue is resolved or if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,


Marilyn

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-04-30T17:08:26+00:00

    Can anyy body help me!?!?

    My windows vista never starts when i press the power button it gives me a screen of Toshiba then it gives me the booting screen (a yellow loading bar and underneath it Microsoft cooperation is written) then it quits from this screen and follows it a blue screen then it quits the blue screen immediately and starts booting up again then it gives me a screen and says [windows did not start correctly. A recent hardware or software change might be the problem] and gives me two options i choose start Windows startup repair. Then it moves to another loading screen and enters into a Windows-like screen and tells me:- (the installed program cannot start press ok to turn off the computer).Then starts all from the beginning!!

    Notice:-

    My CD & DVD dosent work.

    I have important data on the system so i cant format it.

    I need help to get my files out of the computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-17T15:07:38+00:00

    I tried to run from safe mode, but it got in the the automatic repair mode loop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-23T15:08:42+00:00

    I an getting the same problem, but when I tried to go into safe mode the last file to load is the crcdisk.sys file, then it just stops, and the root cause is on \drivers\harddisk0, but the start-up repair wont won't fix it, and I don't want to risk losing the login files, personal details or software that I have installed if I end up having to reinstall vista.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-06-17T17:18:55+00:00

    THANK YOU so much! I have a windows 8 computer right now and I use my laptop which is 4 years old (Vista). I had an issue where the desktop wasn't loading so I found this article and it really helped. Doing the discheck in safe mode helped. I don't know how but it did so Thank you!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments