Internal Error 2503/2502

Anonymous
2010-06-16T16:08:20+00:00

Win 7 Ult 64-bit:

On random installs i get the above error msg w/ 1 of the 2 codes listed..... here is what i have done:

-Checked Windows Installer, it is set to manual

-cleared out all those install files

-tried to locate the reg files used to correct this similar issue on previous versions on Wins, no luck on that

I am pretty computer literate(minor repair as a hobby, build my own machine/family machines), but since about the time wins 7 came out I have had little time to really dig into wins 7, so have been restricted to mostly a user the last 6 months or so. I have reached the extent of my knowledge on correcting this particular issue.

oh, and to add.... I tried to install and run the windows clean up utility and it gives the same error while in setup  =D

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-17T11:42:55+00:00

Hi Tynne,

·        What are you trying to install?

·        Did you get any error message along with the error code?

·        Did you make any changes on your computer prior to this issue?

Let’s try these steps and check if it helps.

Method 1

Unregister Windows Installer, and then reregister Windows Installer. To do this, follow these steps:

  1. On the "Start" menu, click "Run.
  2. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /unreg", and then press ENTER.
  3. On the "Start" menu, click "Run".
  4. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /regserver", and then press ENTER.

Method 2

Check permissions within the Installer folder. To do this, follow these steps.

1.     Click on Start and in the Start Search bar > type in > c: /windows/installer.

2.     Right click on c: /windows/installer at the top under programs and click properties.

3.     Click on the security tab > Verify if System and Administrator account has Full access permissions.

4.     The Everyone account should have read and execute permissions, List Folder Contents, and Read.

Method 3

Also run an online virus scan from the link given below as it sometimes cause due to virus. If you have any antivirus software installed on your computer please install the latest update for the software so that it works properly.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-nz/default.htm?mkt=en-nz

Hope the information helps. Please post back and let us know.

Regards

Debleena S

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-29T09:29:25+00:00

    Hi, I have read and followed your advice and quite frankly, feel that an end user of Windows 10 on a two month old laptop, should not have to take corrective measures due to Microsoft's inability to update their operating system without causing inherent problems such as these errors! Microsoft's insistence on forcing users to accept updates without their own autonomy, is morally and ethically wrong!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-02-21T13:15:15+00:00

    Thanks for the tip.  I forgot all about /unregsrv

    Remember...

    When refering to or showing a Folder path use back slashes \ 

    Example:  C:\Windows\Installer

    When showing Web addresses, use the forward slash / 

    Example:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum

    I realize you know the different but a lot of people get confused about the difference.  It isn't just you, I see people using the wrong slash in posting a lot even on Service Desks.

    It's just one of my pet peeves, like spelling "A Lot" as one word. :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-12-24T05:29:12+00:00

    On my new Windows 8 machine I have had lots of problems with these errors - few of the fixes suggested worked consistently but the steps below have worked every time for me.

    1. Firstly I am running a Windows 7 desktop setup to get away from the Metro interface
    2. From the Start option, find the shortcut to the cmd.exe program, right click on it and make sure to open it using the 'Run as Administrator' option
    3. Depending on your User Account Control settings you may have to respond OK to the question as to whether to Allow changes to the PC.
    4. Proceeding should open a black window with some text in it something like this

                                                     C:\Windows\system32>

    1. Type in the path to the .msi file causing the problem and press return e.g. if the .msi is located in the C:Temp folder then you need to type C:\Temp\WhateverTheProgramNameIs.msi
    2. The install should then proceed correctly.

    other trick is

    open taskschd.msc as administrator and remove the task"CreateExplorerShellUnelevatedTask" 

    export backup and remove all keys in regedit:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies 

    export backup and remove all keys in regedit :

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies 

    export backup and remove all keys in regedit :

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies 

    this operation required full access 

    enjoy. for me was the unique permanent solution and return the windows like before.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-10-22T15:26:21+00:00

    I ran into the same problem with locating the C:\windows\installer directory. For some reason Windows Explorer wouldn't show it even though I don't have it hidden.

    I ended up using a different application to locate the directory. (In this case ExplorerXP. I've also verified that Free Commander can see it as well)

    Once I located the directory I was able to reset the permissions and now applications that were failing during the install went in normally.

    Free commander is available at portableapps.com and ExplorerXP is available at http://www.explorerxp.com/

    just click on windows button and r the type c:windows\installer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments