Internal Error 2503/2502

Anonymous
2010-06-16T16:08:20+00:00

Win 7 Ult 64-bit:

On random installs i get the above error msg w/ 1 of the 2 codes listed..... here is what i have done:

-Checked Windows Installer, it is set to manual

-cleared out all those install files

-tried to locate the reg files used to correct this similar issue on previous versions on Wins, no luck on that

I am pretty computer literate(minor repair as a hobby, build my own machine/family machines), but since about the time wins 7 came out I have had little time to really dig into wins 7, so have been restricted to mostly a user the last 6 months or so. I have reached the extent of my knowledge on correcting this particular issue.

oh, and to add.... I tried to install and run the windows clean up utility and it gives the same error while in setup  =D

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-17T11:42:55+00:00

Hi Tynne,

·        What are you trying to install?

·        Did you get any error message along with the error code?

·        Did you make any changes on your computer prior to this issue?

Let’s try these steps and check if it helps.

Method 1

Unregister Windows Installer, and then reregister Windows Installer. To do this, follow these steps:

  1. On the "Start" menu, click "Run.
  2. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /unreg", and then press ENTER.
  3. On the "Start" menu, click "Run".
  4. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /regserver", and then press ENTER.

Method 2

Check permissions within the Installer folder. To do this, follow these steps.

1.     Click on Start and in the Start Search bar > type in > c: /windows/installer.

2.     Right click on c: /windows/installer at the top under programs and click properties.

3.     Click on the security tab > Verify if System and Administrator account has Full access permissions.

4.     The Everyone account should have read and execute permissions, List Folder Contents, and Read.

Method 3

Also run an online virus scan from the link given below as it sometimes cause due to virus. If you have any antivirus software installed on your computer please install the latest update for the software so that it works properly.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-nz/default.htm?mkt=en-nz

Hope the information helps. Please post back and let us know.

Regards

Debleena S

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-13T21:18:31+00:00

    This is something that i found out by doing something else

    Open "Task Manager" (Ctrl+Shift+Esc or right click the start bar and click: "Task Manager")

    Click "Processes" Tab

    Right click: "Windows Explorer"

    Click: "End Task"

    Click "File" on the top of the windows

    Then Click "New Task"

    Type "explorer.exe" without quotations

    Check the "Create this task with administrative privileges" box

    Now install/uninstall your app

    This worked for me and it was easy peasy to do

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-09T00:15:49+00:00

    On my new Windows 8 machine I have had lots of problems with these errors - few of the fixes suggested worked consistently but the steps below have worked every time for me.

    1. Firstly I am running a Windows 7 desktop setup to get away from the Metro interface
    2. From the Start option, find the shortcut to the cmd.exe program, right click on it and make sure to open it using the 'Run as Administrator' option
    3. Depending on your User Account Control settings you may have to respond OK to the question as to whether to Allow changes to the PC.
    4. Proceeding should open a black window with some text in it something like this

                                                     C:\Windows\system32>

    1. Type in the path to the .msi file causing the problem and press return e.g. if the .msi is located in the C:Temp folder then you need to type C:\Temp\WhateverTheProgramNameIs.msi
    2. The install should then proceed correctly.

    what .msi file is causing the problem ( sorry I'm a novice)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-10T10:15:08+00:00

    Hi Tynne,

    ·        What are you trying to install?

    ·        Did you get any error message along with the error code?

    ·        Did you make any changes on your computer prior to this issue?

    Let’s try these steps and check if it helps.

    Method 1

    Unregister Windows Installer, and then reregister Windows Installer. To do this, follow these steps:

     

    1. On the "Start" menu, click "Run.

     

    1. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /unreg", and then press ENTER.

     

    1. On the "Start" menu, click "Run".

     

    1. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /regserver", and then press ENTER.

    Method 2

    Check permissions within the Installer folder. To do this, follow these steps.

    1.     Click on Start and in the Start Search bar > type in > c: /windows/installer.

    2.     Right click on c: /windows/installer at the top under programs and click properties.

    3.     Click on the security tab > Verify if System and Administrator account has Full access permissions.

    4.     The Everyone account should have read and execute permissions, List Folder Contents, and Read.

    Method 3

    Also run an online virus scan from the link given below as it sometimes cause due to virus. If you have any antivirus software installed on your computer please install the latest update for the software so that it works properly.

    http://onecare.live.com/site/en-nz/default.htm?mkt=en-nz

    Hope the information helps. Please post back and let us know.

    Regards

    Debleena S

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    I did method 1 - nothing changed

    I did method 2 - no items match your search.

    method 3 I have no idea what this is about!

    Still can't install 3rd pty sofware!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-11-24T16:18:26+00:00

    I am having a similar problem as OP.

    Have been running Windows 7 Professional for months without problems.

    Suddently, I cannot install or uninstall any programs.  This occurred after I tried to upgrade from Trend Micro 2010 to the 2011 version.  Also had a Abode Acrobat upgrade that I was trying to install.

    Here is what happens when I try to uninstall a program from Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features window.

    • Windows Installer tries to launch (says preparing to remove)
    • (says Please wait while Windows configures.  Green bar starts (says gathering information)
    • Get the 2503 error followed by 2502 error.
    • Click OK on the two error dialogs and process ends

    I tried Method 1 above.  (did not reboot).  Tried to uninstall a program.  Same behavior as above.

    I tried Method 2 above.  I do not have c: /windows/installer folder on my system.

    • Is that the problem?  If so, how do I solve that?

    Thanks.

    Mirador PDX

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments