error code 0x80780119 not enough disk space to create shadow copy

Anonymous
2009-11-21T23:17:58+00:00

When I try to create a system image I get an error that there is not enough disk space to create a shadow copy the error code is 0x80780119. I'm using Windows 7 Backup and restore.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-24T01:28:54+00:00

A Workaround Without Repartitioning:

When trying to make a system image of Windows 7, I got error 0x80780119.  After searching this thread (plus others), I found my 100 MB System Reserved partition had grown a large USN journal.  I assigned it drive letter F:.

Fsutil usn queryjournal F:

Then I ran this command to clear and disable the USN journal on my System Reserved partition:

fsutil usn deletejournal /N /D F:

This freed 48 MB.  The USN journal on my System Reserved partition remained disabled after a reboot, which I verified by re-running the query.  Subsequently, I was able to make a system image without error.

Look here for details on FSUtil: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788042(WS.10).aspx

Mancer, MCITP-EA

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-03T14:37:14+00:00

You should be able to find your answer here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/25deba76-464b-4a9d-9b32-a283bb6a88ce


MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-18T16:46:56+00:00

    Thank you. It worked Great. KM

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-26T14:44:40+00:00

    worked!  Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-29T14:54:55+00:00

    Thanks, Mr. Blackshear! This did the trick for me. In the past, I had been able to add Shadow Storage to an SRP to get enough room to change the ACL on System Volume Information. I didn't even think that should work, but it did. I needed to whack AppAssure logs that were filling up the SRP.

    On this server today, however, that didn't work and I found your post about deleting the USN journal. That got me just enough space to fix the thing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments