error code 0x80780119 not enough disk space to create shadow copy

Anonymous
2009-11-21T23:17:58+00:00

When I try to create a system image I get an error that there is not enough disk space to create a shadow copy the error code is 0x80780119. I'm using Windows 7 Backup and restore.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-24T01:28:54+00:00

A Workaround Without Repartitioning:

When trying to make a system image of Windows 7, I got error 0x80780119.  After searching this thread (plus others), I found my 100 MB System Reserved partition had grown a large USN journal.  I assigned it drive letter F:.

Fsutil usn queryjournal F:

Then I ran this command to clear and disable the USN journal on my System Reserved partition:

fsutil usn deletejournal /N /D F:

This freed 48 MB.  The USN journal on my System Reserved partition remained disabled after a reboot, which I verified by re-running the query.  Subsequently, I was able to make a system image without error.

Look here for details on FSUtil: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788042(WS.10).aspx

Mancer, MCITP-EA

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-03T14:37:14+00:00

You should be able to find your answer here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/25deba76-464b-4a9d-9b32-a283bb6a88ce


MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-06-13T17:42:16+00:00

    Wow! Finally, After trying everything in this thread on my Dell Precision M4700 with Windows 8 Pro. Finally this solution worked. Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-17T14:14:26+00:00

    Sir, I am a novice in this. How do you assign the F drive? I have windows 8 and I am trying to create a system image and get this same error, How to fix this? Is there a step by step or Microsoft sent a patch to fix this.. My C drive is only 500 GB but my back up drive is 2 TB. But still i get the error not enough disk space to create an image. thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-17T17:46:32+00:00

    I found the following in the thread and it worked for me on Dell Precision running Windows 8 Pro 64 bit:

    gelfer22 replied on

    -

    When error code #80780119 occurs on a Dell machine running Windows 8(not enough disk space to create a shadow copy), the fix is listed below. The reason is Dell w8 includes a 500mb hidden recovery partition labeled WINRETOOLS.

    1. Go to http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Home-Edition/3000-2094\_4-10962200.html and download Partition Wizard. Install and open.
    2. Find the 500mb partition called WINRETOOLS
    3. Right-click, and click move/resize, and reduce the size to 490.00mb
    4. Apply the changes
    5. Open Windows 7 File Recovery, and Create System Image

    *This works as a workaround instead of needing to use Acronis or Dell Backup and Recovery software

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments