error code 0x80780119 not enough disk space to create shadow copy

Anonymous
2009-11-21T23:17:58+00:00

When I try to create a system image I get an error that there is not enough disk space to create a shadow copy the error code is 0x80780119. I'm using Windows 7 Backup and restore.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-24T01:28:54+00:00

A Workaround Without Repartitioning:

When trying to make a system image of Windows 7, I got error 0x80780119.  After searching this thread (plus others), I found my 100 MB System Reserved partition had grown a large USN journal.  I assigned it drive letter F:.

Fsutil usn queryjournal F:

Then I ran this command to clear and disable the USN journal on my System Reserved partition:

fsutil usn deletejournal /N /D F:

This freed 48 MB.  The USN journal on my System Reserved partition remained disabled after a reboot, which I verified by re-running the query.  Subsequently, I was able to make a system image without error.

Look here for details on FSUtil: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788042(WS.10).aspx

Mancer, MCITP-EA

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-03T14:37:14+00:00

You should be able to find your answer here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/25deba76-464b-4a9d-9b32-a283bb6a88ce


MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-29T12:09:08+00:00

    Great!! That was my problem. I changed the OEM partion from 48MB to 100 MB and my problem was fixed. Many thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-29T21:35:20+00:00

    Here's an update on my experiences.  The Dell "Backup and Recover Application (BURA)" upgrade to create system images does create images, but there is no way to use/recover them.  They can't even be recovered using the hard disk boot drive option from the restored "factory image".  This is the method suggested by Dell support as the way to do it since you can't produce bootable media for it.  I uninstalled Dell's "BURA" and got a refund for it's $39.99 "upgrade".

    One of Dell's support techs reduced the *:winretools" partition on the OS hard drive from 500MB to 499MB, which then allowed me to create a "Windows7" system image (of my Windows8 system) to another internal hard drive.  But it was of no use since the recovery media could not find/recognize that hard drive.  So, created another image on a network drive (NAS), which the recovery media could find and I was able to successfully  re-image a "new" hard drive (of the same size as the original - 2TB).

    Microsoft level 2 support said that the problem was that my backup 3TB internal hard drive was a "primary" GPT partition (rather than a smaller 1TB MBR I guess).  About a month later I discovered that I could no longer create images on the NAS.  So, I tried again on the internal hard drive (which fortunately worked that time).

    Shortly thereafter Windows stopped being able to shut off my computer.  After forcing shutoff (via the power switch) and restarting, Windows wouldn't boot.  Dell's repair application (I believe which started automatically) couldn't fix it and seemed to make it worse.  None of the Windows8 recover options worked either (because of the partition re-sizing?)  So, I re-imaged the hard - drive from the 3TB internal drive image.

    Windows still can't shut off the computer, but it can re-start it (for software updates), so I haven't tried to fix it.  Also, it can be safely shut-down with the power switch after the screen returns to the "Space Needle" after trying to shut down for a while.  It can also start safely from "Start Windows" in the boot/repair options.  I'm going to avoid using either the Windows* or Dell Recovery tools - they'll likely break it again.

    The bottom line - don't assume that either the image(s) you have created will work or that the Dell or Windows8 recovery options will work (especially after re-sizing OS disk partitions) unless you try them.

    Good luck - I share your pain!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-03-30T00:21:25+00:00

    You only need space for 1 Back-up and Restore  program. Not space for every  back-up you are likely to make!

    NO, you say.

    You're wrong.

    ONE is definitely all you do need.

    The most up-to-date one, that is!

    And, how, pray tell, do I set it up to work this way?

    By the use of simply setting the option to........................over-write the existing version of the Back-up and Restore program!

    That's right, all that is really needed is space for one copy of the back-up files, PLUS a bit....for safety sake.

    Can't be done! 

    Don't insult me.

    I have done it, now I'm telling you.......'how-to' to do it, too.

    By the way, I do have enough space to do a back-up  myself, 2 x 250 gig hard-drives I chose NOT to.

    Anything I need a COPY of, is......already on CDs or DVDs.

    And my computer has been running as smooth as silk for well over 6 years without a need to ever do a re-installation.

    It's properly maintained, since I am retired, on an Aged pension, with all the time in the world....to ensure that my computer is ALWAYS up-to-date, working properly, topping it all off with 20+years of knowledge from working/building all my own computers from parts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments