error code 0x80780119 not enough disk space to create shadow copy

Anonymous
2009-11-21T23:17:58+00:00

When I try to create a system image I get an error that there is not enough disk space to create a shadow copy the error code is 0x80780119. I'm using Windows 7 Backup and restore.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-24T01:28:54+00:00

A Workaround Without Repartitioning:

When trying to make a system image of Windows 7, I got error 0x80780119.  After searching this thread (plus others), I found my 100 MB System Reserved partition had grown a large USN journal.  I assigned it drive letter F:.

Fsutil usn queryjournal F:

Then I ran this command to clear and disable the USN journal on my System Reserved partition:

fsutil usn deletejournal /N /D F:

This freed 48 MB.  The USN journal on my System Reserved partition remained disabled after a reboot, which I verified by re-running the query.  Subsequently, I was able to make a system image without error.

Look here for details on FSUtil: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788042(WS.10).aspx

Mancer, MCITP-EA

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-03T14:37:14+00:00

You should be able to find your answer here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/25deba76-464b-4a9d-9b32-a283bb6a88ce


MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-01T02:50:35+00:00

    Same problem on Dell XPS one 27 (which has already had a replacement motherboard - so I'd really like a backup - and the machine has crashed with no error message 3 times since the engineer left 12 hours ago!). I note that Dell would like me to pay £37 to upgrade their backup utility to one that does system backup so perhaps it suits them to leave the Windows system image tool broken?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-01T16:25:42+00:00

    The "Dell Backup and Recovery" upgrade, which is supposed to let you create current system images, costs $39.99.  I bought it and, although it appears to generate images, I have not yet been able to verify that they're of any value because there is no way to create bootable recovery media for it!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-03-12T14:58:36+00:00

    I discovered another trick for my ASUS S400C laptop.

    The second partition "Recovery" is 600Mb. it requires free 380Mb for a shadow copy.

    Using MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition I resized it to 490Mb. Just below 500Mb.

    Now it works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments