error code 0x80780119 not enough disk space to create shadow copy

Anonymous
2009-11-21T23:17:58+00:00

When I try to create a system image I get an error that there is not enough disk space to create a shadow copy the error code is 0x80780119. I'm using Windows 7 Backup and restore.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-24T01:28:54+00:00

A Workaround Without Repartitioning:

When trying to make a system image of Windows 7, I got error 0x80780119.  After searching this thread (plus others), I found my 100 MB System Reserved partition had grown a large USN journal.  I assigned it drive letter F:.

Fsutil usn queryjournal F:

Then I ran this command to clear and disable the USN journal on my System Reserved partition:

fsutil usn deletejournal /N /D F:

This freed 48 MB.  The USN journal on my System Reserved partition remained disabled after a reboot, which I verified by re-running the query.  Subsequently, I was able to make a system image without error.

Look here for details on FSUtil: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788042(WS.10).aspx

Mancer, MCITP-EA

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-03T14:37:14+00:00

You should be able to find your answer here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/25deba76-464b-4a9d-9b32-a283bb6a88ce


MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-06-13T15:20:13+00:00

    When error code #80780119 occurs on a Dell machine running Windows 8(not enough disk space to create a shadow copy), the fix is listed below. The reason is Dell w8 includes a 500mb hidden recovery partition labeled WINRETOOLS.

    1. Go to http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Home-Edition/3000-2094_4-10962200.html and download Partition Wizard. Install and open.
    2. Find the 500mb partition called WINRETOOLS
    3. Right-click, and click move/resize, and reduce the size to 490.00mb
    4. Apply the changes
    5. Open Windows 7 File Recovery, and Create System Image

    *This works as a workaround instead of needing to use Acronis or Dell Backup and Recovery software

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-30T14:17:27+00:00

    Since I had installed other programs and performed updates since saving my first system image, I wanted to create a more current image to capture those system changes.  It seems prudent to do this periodically.  I also like to archive my older images just in case the latter one(s) fail.  What operating system are you using?  Have you actually created or tried to create a system image - with what?

    You're fortunate to not have had a hard disk failure for in 6 years - you eventually will though!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-03-30T00:21:25+00:00

    You only need space for 1 Back-up and Restore  program. Not space for every  back-up you are likely to make!

    NO, you say.

    You're wrong.

    ONE is definitely all you do need.

    The most up-to-date one, that is!

    And, how, pray tell, do I set it up to work this way?

    By the use of simply setting the option to........................over-write the existing version of the Back-up and Restore program!

    That's right, all that is really needed is space for one copy of the back-up files, PLUS a bit....for safety sake.

    Can't be done! 

    Don't insult me.

    I have done it, now I'm telling you.......'how-to' to do it, too.

    By the way, I do have enough space to do a back-up  myself, 2 x 250 gig hard-drives I chose NOT to.

    Anything I need a COPY of, is......already on CDs or DVDs.

    And my computer has been running as smooth as silk for well over 6 years without a need to ever do a re-installation.

    It's properly maintained, since I am retired, on an Aged pension, with all the time in the world....to ensure that my computer is ALWAYS up-to-date, working properly, topping it all off with 20+years of knowledge from working/building all my own computers from parts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments