error code 0x80780119 not enough disk space to create shadow copy

Anonymous
2009-11-21T23:17:58+00:00

When I try to create a system image I get an error that there is not enough disk space to create a shadow copy the error code is 0x80780119. I'm using Windows 7 Backup and restore.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-24T01:28:54+00:00

A Workaround Without Repartitioning:

When trying to make a system image of Windows 7, I got error 0x80780119.  After searching this thread (plus others), I found my 100 MB System Reserved partition had grown a large USN journal.  I assigned it drive letter F:.

Fsutil usn queryjournal F:

Then I ran this command to clear and disable the USN journal on my System Reserved partition:

fsutil usn deletejournal /N /D F:

This freed 48 MB.  The USN journal on my System Reserved partition remained disabled after a reboot, which I verified by re-running the query.  Subsequently, I was able to make a system image without error.

Look here for details on FSUtil: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788042(WS.10).aspx

Mancer, MCITP-EA

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-03T14:37:14+00:00

You should be able to find your answer here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/25deba76-464b-4a9d-9b32-a283bb6a88ce


MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-13T22:28:33+00:00

    I'm having this exact issue with two brand new Dell Windows 8 computers.  Dell ships computers with a 40 MB OEM partition on the internal drive.  It prevents users from creating a system image backup in Windows.  I consider the Windows system image backup to be a critical part of Windows.

    Unfortunately, this partition can not be modified by the user via Disk Management.  Given that these are two brand new computers, I'm not willing to reformat the drive and reinstall everything. 

    I've spent huge numbers of hours working with Microsoft and Dell on this issue.  I'm grateful to a certain Level 2 Windows expert at Microsoft who identified the problem yesterday.  I will identify him by name if he gives me permission. 

    I'm hopeful that Dell or Microsoft will help me modify or eliminate the OEM partition without having to reformat the drive.  I will post the solution if there is one.

    In the future, I plan to test the Windows system image backup immediately after purchasing a new computer.  If it doesn't work, I'll return it within the short return window.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-12T20:43:09+00:00

    When I try to create a system image I get an error that there is not enough disk space to create a shadow copy the error code is 0x80780119. I'm using Windows 7 Backup and restore.

    " There is not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy on storage location. Make sure that for all volume to be backup up, the minimum disk space required for shadow copy creation is available. this applies to both the backup storage destination and volume included in the backup. Minimum requirement for Volumes less than 500 megabytes, the minimum is 50 megabyte of free space. for volumes more than 500 megabytes, the minimum is 320 megabytes of free space. Recommended at least 1 gigabytes free of disk space on each volumes if volumes size is more than 1 gigabytes (0x80780119)"

    This error is not only related to the Storage destination, it is also related to the volumes included in the creation of image.

    For example, if you have an external hard drive of 1 TB, and you are trying to create an image of your system which includes your C: Drive which is 512 GB in size with a free space of 200 GB, then according to Microsoft it should satisfy the condition and image should be created. But we are facing issues where OEM partition is less then 50 MB and this is the reason the creation of shadow copy fails. So make sure that the partition created by your manufacturer is greater then 50 MB.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-25T20:05:42+00:00

    Dear Mancer,

    your tip did not help me, though I followed your outlined procedure exactly. I know this is an old post, but please help me!

    Best regards,

    Sven

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments