error code 0x80780119 not enough disk space to create shadow copy

Anonymous
2009-11-21T23:17:58+00:00

When I try to create a system image I get an error that there is not enough disk space to create a shadow copy the error code is 0x80780119. I'm using Windows 7 Backup and restore.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-24T01:28:54+00:00

A Workaround Without Repartitioning:

When trying to make a system image of Windows 7, I got error 0x80780119.  After searching this thread (plus others), I found my 100 MB System Reserved partition had grown a large USN journal.  I assigned it drive letter F:.

Fsutil usn queryjournal F:

Then I ran this command to clear and disable the USN journal on my System Reserved partition:

fsutil usn deletejournal /N /D F:

This freed 48 MB.  The USN journal on my System Reserved partition remained disabled after a reboot, which I verified by re-running the query.  Subsequently, I was able to make a system image without error.

Look here for details on FSUtil: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788042(WS.10).aspx

Mancer, MCITP-EA

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-03T14:37:14+00:00

You should be able to find your answer here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/25deba76-464b-4a9d-9b32-a283bb6a88ce


MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-08T22:29:54+00:00

    Hi all,

    This problem appeared today and my SReserved drive has 39MB free so it makes sense that I can't backup.

    I tried to delete the USN journal but it freed only 1MB (!!!) so I still have the same problem.

    Do you know how can I "rebuild" that partition? I can try to resize it but it's quite risky...

    Thanks!

    gelfer22 replied on

    When error code #80780119 occurs on a Dell machine running Windows 8(not enough disk space to create a shadow copy), the fix is listed below. The reason is Dell w8 includes a 500mb hidden recovery partition labeled WINRETOOLS.

    1. Go to http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Home-Edition/3000-2094\_4-10962200.html and download Partition Wizard. Install and open.
    2. Find the 500mb partition called WINRETOOLS
    3. Right-click, and click move/resize, and reduce the size to 490.00mb
    4. Apply the changes
    5. Open Windows 7 File Recovery, and Create System Image

    *This works as a workaround instead of needing to use Acronis or Dell Backup and Recovery software

    I keep seeing this reply in multiple forums, and the use of 3rd party partitioning editors to shrink the partition. Everyone claims that it allows them to go back to Win8, and use the Win7 recovery tool to create a system image without the error or error code. Sounds great. 

    But, has anyone actually tested this by turning around and using that image to recover?

    I have only seen one person even mention this so fare, and they claimed that it didn't work...

    Has anyone else tried a recovery using the image created after altering the partition in this way? What were your results?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-25T12:52:41+00:00

    Checked the drive for errors and found no errors. The same thing still happens: ERROR #

    0x80780119

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments