How to make Edge to open links on the same tab by default

Anonymous
2024-04-21T01:54:59+00:00

I get a new tab everytime I click on a link, which is a pain as closing the link is not working well.

Microsoft Edge | Other | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-05-02T14:37:42+00:00

Hi I've found how to solve this issue

the problem is from Bing (the search engine) not Edge (Browser)

  1. Search Something on Bing
  2. Tap the 3-dash button setting on the upper right corner
  3. open safety search
  4. in safety search, turn off open new tab after link click
  5. make sure you save the setting

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-13T08:04:52+00:00

    Just a heads up for anyone who hasn't found an answer that works yet, I used the settings on edge home page rather than edge browser settings,

    open edge > open settings symbol top right of the open page> turn off "open in new tab".

    HTH

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-07T01:41:43+00:00

    Followed these steps and it works as long as i don't close edge. If i close edge and open back up the settings are switched back. I checked my cookie settings and are set to allow and not to delete them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-06T22:23:19+00:00

    The key here is to forget about Microsoft Edge settings. You won't find anything there.

    Go To Bing.com, hit the hamburger there (three dots or three lines, depending on your version)

    Once you're there click on "Settings"

    Then click on "More"

    There you will find a section called "Results"

    Uncheck both new tab options

    Voila!

    Thank you, community

    I already know I'm the best. Don't mention it. Stop it. OK. I know. I'm the best

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-05T14:24:47+00:00

    Having the same issue as Juju Beanz and Saf Sied. I am able to toggle these settings off, but everything resets after I close the browser.

    Latest browser version installed and tried logging in/out, resetting PC. Doesn't seem to permanently apply the setting.

    Has anyone found a solution to this?

    Thank you,

    JP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments