How to make Edge to open links on the same tab by default

Anonymous
2024-04-21T01:54:59+00:00

I get a new tab everytime I click on a link, which is a pain as closing the link is not working well.

Microsoft Edge | Other | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-05-02T14:37:42+00:00

Hi I've found how to solve this issue

the problem is from Bing (the search engine) not Edge (Browser)

  1. Search Something on Bing
  2. Tap the 3-dash button setting on the upper right corner
  3. open safety search
  4. in safety search, turn off open new tab after link click
  5. make sure you save the setting

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-24T10:01:01+00:00

    fix the ***** browser! and maybe people will start to use it!! if we want to open stuff in new tab we'd middle click with scroll wheel!!!!! get the basic functionality right before adding a ton of features.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-22T10:44:41+00:00

    every time I try to change this setting and hit save, the page refreshes and the options are changed back to open new tab turned on. Is my organization preventing me from making this change? if so, how can I get it to stick permanently?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-21T19:28:51+00:00

    Tried this method and it didn't work. I restarted both the PC and browser to ensure I was clearing active tasks/settings.

    I did check the Internet Options setting, and it still reflected the "Open links from other programs in: The current tab or window" was still active.

    JP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-18T20:48:00+00:00

    There is no option that says "Open sites in new tabs after I click on a link."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments