How to make Edge to open links on the same tab by default

Anonymous
2024-04-21T01:54:59+00:00

I get a new tab everytime I click on a link, which is a pain as closing the link is not working well.

Microsoft Edge | Other | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-05-02T14:37:42+00:00

Hi I've found how to solve this issue

the problem is from Bing (the search engine) not Edge (Browser)

  1. Search Something on Bing
  2. Tap the 3-dash button setting on the upper right corner
  3. open safety search
  4. in safety search, turn off open new tab after link click
  5. make sure you save the setting

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-13T23:40:41+00:00

    Page was created April 21 2024, it's November, and the specified links don't exist. I do not feel like rummaging through the setup menus searching how to disable what I consider a brain dead "feature".

    yay

    Is there anyone that likes having every damned link open a new tab? I hate it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-13T21:59:57+00:00

    great for everyone to need fix, now in my OS shows 2 options:

    Results

    Open links from search results in a new tab or windowOpen links from news results in a new tab or window

    first one makes the things work... Second one I made some tests, and I let it deactivate too, I didn't understand when this "new results" happens ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-13T07:41:01+00:00

    Hi I've found how to solve this issue

    the problem is from Bing (the search engine) not Edge (Browser)

    1. Search Something on Bing
    2. Tap the 3-dash button setting on the upper right corner
    3. open safety search
    4. in safety search, turn off open new tab after link click
    5. make sure you save the setting

    Nice! it works ! Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-18T18:24:20+00:00

    THANK YOU!!!!!

    This has been a problem for a LONG time, so grateful!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments