Troubleshooting website display or functionality issues in Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
this just started happening in the last three days. I don't know what specifically i am redirected to. It might be ads. i will click on real results, but the links that open in place, have nothing to do with what i click on. i have to click back, then the link again. They don't even appear in my history.
Troubleshooting website display or functionality issues in Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Windows MVP Shawn Brink is the most respected tutorial writer in the tech industry. I've never heard of anyone having problems with one of his scripts or any method he's given in the twelve years I've been in forums.
He is also almost always the best expert for issues he writes about, and is accessible through the Comments sections in his tutorials.
So you have the best method to do this, complete with personal support from the author if you want to proceed.
As to your casual mention that you get hacked, there are things you can do now to prevent this. The best articles that will fully educate you to know exactly what to do are here so read them to be prepared:
https://preyproject.com/blog/en/have-i-been-hac...
https://www.windowscentral.com/signs-pc-hacked
https://www.csoonline.com/article/2457873/signs...
What driver says it's disabled in Safe Mode with Networking, Wifi? Did you try reinstalling it while in Safe Mode with Networking, by choosing Uninstall on driver, then restarting PC back to where you were?
I would also troubleshoot Wifi while in Safe Mode with Networking with these fixes that work most:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-r...
System Restore is your first line of defense and can take you back to a point before a problem began like a time machine. If it doesn't help then you can undo it. Read about it first in the tutorial above and then try restoring to just before this started. If System Restore is not enabled on C drive do that now so it's available in the future.
If the problem repeats or System Restore doesn't work then check which Windows Updates were installed at Settings > Update & Security > Windows Updates > Update History, uninstall them there or System Restore again, then immediately check for and block the Updates with the Hide Updates tool explained here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8280-hide-s...
Updating drivers from the Device Manager or Windows Update is rarely enough. The most basic thing we need to learn to maintain a PC is keep the latest manufacturer's drivers installed from their Support Downloads web page.
If you have the latest network driver then try on it's Driver tab also to Roll Back, or Uninstall and then restart PC to reinstall the driver. Try also all older drivers from Update Driver > Browse > Let Me Pick list working backwards.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/90033-enabl...
Try all of these steps: https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-reset-network-...
https://www.lifewire.com/resetting-a-home-netwo...
https://www.pcmag.com/article/258865/how-to-set...
Your router manual is always available from the manufacturer's website for your exact model.
https://www.amazon.com/OURLiNK-600Mbps-Wireless...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P5PRK7J
I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.
______________________________________________
Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.
The hacking was a previous system. I don't have any real evidence of that here. Just that probably one browser has some issues. If I see the search redirect again, I might have some clarity. i think it said "mynewsearch," which i have not been able to find in the search engines. Driver that gets disabled is an 802.11 pci adapter. i have read that these types of adapters might have problems sometimes. i did not try uninstalling it, but the fact is i did not update it prior to after this incident. I have also never used safe mode on this laptop until after i made the intial post here. i have no idea if this laptop changed any safe mode settings. i do know the old laptop had a similar problem after updating windows 10.
For this reason, i could not use a restore point.
There is a BIOS/firmware update, yet HP Assistant recently had it, but it then said I didn't need it. It might not be a network reset, as i can connect in windows outside of safe mode. i have done network resets already prior to the recent driver update after this happened.
The BIOS update was from March. I am assuming that there must have been some windows update after that was available, so HP Assistant said that was not necessary.
Since I used the USB adapter that I have before in the other model, and I think it sometimes worked, but it also seemed to interfere with the current adapter on that model, i am wondering if that might be problematic. What happened with that one is that it installed software, then it caused some interference as it at one point needed to connection to be reinstalled. Then it couldn't recognize the connection anymore.
I am wondering about this:
Enable or Disable IPv6 in Windows | Tutorials (tenforums.com)
I do think it shouldn't be necessary to override the current adapter with a usb adapter that is outdated in windows 10. I think my friend gave me that for windows vista/7, but i used it since i couldn't use the windows 10 adapter in safe mode.
I think if "mynewsearch" could somehow be found, i can uninstall if from MS Edge, but i still need to figure out why windows does not seem compatible with my adapter. It does not make sense that it doesn't show an error, but it still disables the connection. I saw the WAN service was running in msconfig.
Were you able to fix Safe Mode with Networking with the WIfi fixes I gave you?
i am not understanding. most of that stuff is stuff i have done outside of this issue. I have wireless networking functioning outside of safe mode without errors. That is why I have replied with the previous reply. There is nothing wrong with the router itself. The adapter itself has also been reset when there was internet connection problems before. I do not have internet connection problems. I have network connection problems only in safe mode with networking. For instance, like I said, the adapter became disabled (or rather connection altogether). I am wondering if you can see if my last reply makes any sense. The adapter shows up in safe mode. It has never been changed basically until the last 24 hours. I have explained what I know of myself too.
You said Safe Mode with Networking was not working, asked several times about fixing it. So I gave you the troubleshooting steps for Wifi to try in Safe Mode, since you said you couldn't use ethernet and Wifi should be working anyway. Did you want to repair your Wifi in Safe Mode with Networking?
As to the USB adapter, I would use one which is labeled to work in Windows 10 or 11, although an earlier one might still work but I would not buy an older one.