Troubleshooting website display or functionality issues in Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
this just started happening in the last three days. I don't know what specifically i am redirected to. It might be ads. i will click on real results, but the links that open in place, have nothing to do with what i click on. i have to click back, then the link again. They don't even appear in my history.
Troubleshooting website display or functionality issues in Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I have malwarebytes installed and it reverted to free. I have mcafee live safe. I’m wondering how I might repair the issue of the network not working in safe mode. I’m certain nothing repaired it on the other computer and this one didn’t even have much changes. Microsoft says it is a known issue. Kapersky often won’t work with other antivirus programs. I can try to run malware bytes again in regular mode; but it won’t repair the safe mode problem. Still, it is odd this odd thing only exists in on browser. It redirects to something called “new search” or something like that.
No expert anywhere recommends McAfee except to uninstall it. Kaspersky has been declared by the US Intelligence to be Russian spyware. What else have you installed??
Why do you need Safe Mode with Networking exactly? Did you try it with Ethernet? What did you do to troubleshoot Wifi? Here are fixes for Safe Mode with Networking not working:
https://internet-access-guide.com/safe-mode-wit...
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/72003...
https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/125006-...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM6fwnR5EgY
Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.
______________________________________________
Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.
no security software is actually installed on this machine besides malwarebytes and mcafee livesafe. Windows preinstalled software automatically is disabled when something else starts running in its stead. some link recommended tdskiller (which must be kapersky). Various sites will say kapersky is the best way (or they will say other top-rated programs.
mcafee commonly comes with HP machines as a one year trial. As far as I know, it often comes preinstalled on Windows machines. They might even sometimes come with both Norton and mcafee. Yet since this one came with it, and mostly, it has blocked intrusions better than zonealarm and avast, I would rather keep it than uninstall it. However, there is that weird thing on MS Edge that I mentioned.
I don't have my own ethernet cable, and doing that is tedious in my town since i am living with someone else and this is a small town. Wifi works in windows already, but i tried the safe mode with networking separately. i updated the driver from HP's website, and went through various settings within safe mode.
I think since windows is supposed to have safe mode with networking, it should be an option and some bug in the OS should not just be ignored. There tends to be various flaws sometimes when people code different programs. I am not sure if all hardware gets tested with test Operating Systems, or if it is only about that. I will check those things that you posted, thanks.
If you buy a 3rd party antivirus you are paying to bloat Windows and will inevitably have issues. If you buy McAfee, Norton, Avast, or AVG then this is almost guaranteed, which is why no expert anywhere recommends any of them except to uninstall them. If you buy Kaspersky the EU and US advise this is Russian spyware.
Unless you regularly visit unsafe sites or torrent, Defender is more than adequate and provided by Microsoft who know how to protect their infrastructure best with a global security defense system that rivals that of nations, and to which no 3rd party comes close. If you get infected regularly then you only need to add Malwarebytes Real Time protection to Defender and you will not get infected again.
Windows software is tested by millions of consumers in the Insider program which you can read about here:
https://www.techadvisor.com/how-to/windows/wind...
I gave you fixes for Safe Mode with Networking to try. I'm not sure it's a bug, I've not seen other cases reported about it yet. But If you want to report this to Microsoft you may be able to help improve this product/experience by using the Feedback Hub in Start Menu. While they will probably not see this here in the forums, Microsoft developers DO read feedback from customers that comes in via the Feedback Hub, so that is a great way to share your thoughts on how to better serve you as a customer.
I hope it helps.
______________________________________________
Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.
i tried most of what you shared (except for the script). I am weary of adding a script, as I don't know if it will cause some problems. I think it said it was a registry script. Everything else doesn't seem to work so far. Indeed, the one that is in the boot configuration just adds a globe icon, but I cannot connect. The spiceworks article didn't do anything either. The very first article is what i went by to update my driver. I was using the malwarebytes premium trial recently since it no longer lets users download the free version. Users must use the trial, then revert to the free version. Personally, I often will use trial antivirus software if they come with the system, then I will use something like free avast and zonealarm based on experience. I like to monitor incoming traffic, and see if somebody is trying to hack me. Windows Defender will block things, but it doesn't seem as specific as various other programs. Yet my previous system seemed to get hacked in a way that I never saw before. What is on this system could be embedded in the browser or its cache from the behavior. Maybe some sort of hidden plugin. It is not affecting anything outside of the browser.
At the same time, I know that the safe mode issue happened with the previous system, and it could be related to updates. Some articles say it might be a bad driver. I saw my driver does not have an exclamation mark or whatever, yet it says disabled. if i try to use the "enable " option, it won't enable. There might be a compatiblity issue, but it does not show the driver is incompatible. But it still turns off the network. so something causes it to turn off.