Troubleshooting website display or functionality issues in Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
this just started happening in the last three days. I don't know what specifically i am redirected to. It might be ads. i will click on real results, but the links that open in place, have nothing to do with what i click on. i have to click back, then the link again. They don't even appear in my history.
Troubleshooting website display or functionality issues in Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
i will reply back here again later. HP is fishy to me about this. They say it is nothing to do with the manufacturer, but the research i have done says BIOS updates, USB-related issues can cause it to lock up, despite it being a windows security setting. They want to charge me. Even though it is Microsoft software, it is an HP system. Wouldn't HP have to partner with Microsoft to install Windows? It seems easier to have an HP factory and install Windows instead of send multiple model computer systems at a Microsoft factory. I have been to a Microsoft store before, and I know there are different model systems there, but I feel like it is not really a manufacturer of things like HP systems. I think I should not have to pay HP if something might be a factory setting. Some previous systems had pre-installed software. They would have had Microsoft software, some antivirus software, and maybe other things. These are not all made by microsoft. They need to contract with different companies to allow for licenses to install software. They also want users to purchase trial software.
well, i was able to get into safe mode after talking to microsoft. However, i have a small problem: i cannot connect to the internet in safe mode with networking. On the phone, microsoft says to reinstall windows. I am not sure if that is the right way. They also disconnected from the phone and did not call back after telling me to download it.
I may follow the instructions above if I have no alternative.
I would like to ask about DISM and media creation tool etc. i had created a new profile before and someone repaired windows, but there was also a problem connecting to the internet in safe mode. DISM seems like there might be something related. These solutions were for removing encryption though, not for being unable to access safe mode with networking.
HP admits in the document I provided that they pre-enable Bitlocker at factory. It's supposed to wait until you sign in with a Microsoft Account so you can have the key put in your account. But it doesn't always work that way. So they are responsible for enabling something you did not ask for, in a way that did not store the Bitlocker Key in your account (did it, check again?) causing you to potentially lose your files.
As to the HP factory install, I recommend reinstalling it and of the HP bloatware reinstall only the HP Support Assistant to update your drivers.
Here's how to access Safe Mode with Networking (so you have internet), or Safe Mode, accessed by one of these methods: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-saf...
the recovery keys are still there, but bitlocker is turned off. i can login to safe mode with networking, but those digitalcitizen instructions don't work. I am not aware of a factory reset setup for this system. I was being general. I know that HP basically wouldn't acknowledge the whole thing about them doing a setup of bitlocker. The microsoft support recommended a windows reinstallation, and explained it can be done and I can keep the software that i have already. He didn't stay on the phone. I think his phone may have lost power. But I am wondering if the link above to reinstall it through the installation media might do that? I think it did something like that before. The only problem is that I recall having some error on my other computer having trouble connecting to the network in safe mode with networking in two profiles. Microsoft says this is a known issue, and it seems like it might happen for some people, and not all.
I wonder how I might resolve it. I never used safe mode on this system. also, it is strange that the redirect on this system only happens in microsoft edge. it does not happen in chrome. whatever the case, i would like to remove it, and still be able to use safe mode with networking.
HP Assistant probably did not detect a new driver, but the driver support page for HP did. It's download tool would not even start downloading it, so i installed it manually. i did not use a third party downloader though. however, there is no change.
Since i could not get into safe mode with networking (and have it connect to the internet), i ran that adwcleaner in regular mode, but it just seems to think that hp software is problematic. i suppose i need to get into safe mode and run all those things (including malware bytes and kapersky). However, i have a subscription to a paid antivirus software with firewall. will that be a problem? it is actually a one year trial that came with this system.
I would use built-in Defender which gives adequate protection, best Windows performance, least issues, and is from Microsoft who knows how to protect their OS best.
If you want the best on-demand scanner install and run Malwarebytes free scanner. https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/. You can turn off the free trial in Account Settings to keep it only as a free scanner.
If you have the keys and Bitlocker is turned off then let's continue with the steps to clean Windows of any infection. Make sure not to skip any steps.