why are some bing search results suddenly redirecting me to other pages?

Anonymous
2022-06-07T00:41:17+00:00

this just started happening in the last three days. I don't know what specifically i am redirected to. It might be ads. i will click on real results, but the links that open in place, have nothing to do with what i click on. i have to click back, then the link again. They don't even appear in my history.

Microsoft Edge | Website issues | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-08T05:26:17+00:00

    No expert anywhere recommends McAfee except to uninstall it. Kaspersky has been declared by the US Intelligence to be Russian spyware. What else have you installed??

    Why do you need Safe Mode with Networking exactly? Did you try it with Ethernet? What did you do to troubleshoot Wifi? Here are fixes for Safe Mode with Networking not working:

    https://internet-access-guide.com/safe-mode-wit...

    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/72003...

    https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/125006-...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM6fwnR5EgY

    Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

    ______________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-08T05:01:45+00:00

    I have malwarebytes installed and it reverted to free. I have mcafee live safe. I’m wondering how I might repair the issue of the network not working in safe mode. I’m certain nothing repaired it on the other computer and this one didn’t even have much changes. Microsoft says it is a known issue. Kapersky often won’t work with other antivirus programs. I can try to run malware bytes again in regular mode; but it won’t repair the safe mode problem. Still, it is odd this odd thing only exists in on browser. It redirects to something called “new search” or something like that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-08T02:49:33+00:00

    I would use built-in Defender which gives adequate protection, best Windows performance, least issues, and is from Microsoft who knows how to protect their OS best.

    If you want the best on-demand scanner install and run Malwarebytes free scanner. https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/. You can turn off the free trial in Account Settings to keep it only as a free scanner.

    If you have the keys and Bitlocker is turned off then let's continue with the steps to clean Windows of any infection. Make sure not to skip any steps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-08T02:39:41+00:00

    the recovery keys are still there, but bitlocker is turned off. i can login to safe mode with networking, but those digitalcitizen instructions don't work. I am not aware of a factory reset setup for this system. I was being general. I know that HP basically wouldn't acknowledge the whole thing about them doing a setup of bitlocker. The microsoft support recommended a windows reinstallation, and explained it can be done and I can keep the software that i have already. He didn't stay on the phone. I think his phone may have lost power. But I am wondering if the link above to reinstall it through the installation media might do that? I think it did something like that before. The only problem is that I recall having some error on my other computer having trouble connecting to the network in safe mode with networking in two profiles. Microsoft says this is a known issue, and it seems like it might happen for some people, and not all.

    I wonder how I might resolve it. I never used safe mode on this system. also, it is strange that the redirect on this system only happens in microsoft edge. it does not happen in chrome. whatever the case, i would like to remove it, and still be able to use safe mode with networking.

    HP Assistant probably did not detect a new driver, but the driver support page for HP did. It's download tool would not even start downloading it, so i installed it manually. i did not use a third party downloader though. however, there is no change.

    Since i could not get into safe mode with networking (and have it connect to the internet), i ran that adwcleaner in regular mode, but it just seems to think that hp software is problematic. i suppose i need to get into safe mode and run all those things (including malware bytes and kapersky). However, i have a subscription to a paid antivirus software with firewall. will that be a problem? it is actually a one year trial that came with this system.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-06-08T01:04:42+00:00

    HP admits in the document I provided that they pre-enable Bitlocker at factory. It's supposed to wait until you sign in with a Microsoft Account so you can have the key put in your account. But it doesn't always work that way. So they are responsible for enabling something you did not ask for, in a way that did not store the Bitlocker Key in your account (did it, check again?) causing you to potentially lose your files.

    As to the HP factory install, I recommend reinstalling it and of the HP bloatware reinstall only the HP Support Assistant to update your drivers.

    Here's how to access Safe Mode with Networking (so you have internet), or Safe Mode, accessed by one of these methods: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-saf...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments