Opening and reading PDF files in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I am very frustrated with Microsoft Edge continuously hijacking PDFs. I run Adobe Acrobat and need to have the tools. I have tried the standard ways of setting Adobe as the default program for PDFs - through Control Panel, through Properties of the file, through Open with. None of these work for even an hour.
I have also tried a couple of hacks through Regedit that seem to work for others but not for me.
I am at the stage that if i could I would uninstall Edge.
So, how can I permanently set Adobe as the default program for PDFs?
Opening and reading PDF files in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Full reformat not the solution. I tried that last year and Edge was hijacking my default pdf with a few weeks. Just purchased a brand new machine with fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro and Edge hijacked my .pdf defaults within a week. Microsoft has known this since 2015 and refuse to fix it. This needs to be reported to the The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for anti competitive practices. Microsoft does not want you using anything but Edge browser and pdf. Worse case they should tell users that they cannot use a non Microsoft pdf editor instead of the non stop heads games of telling users that changing the default .pdf in settings will fix.
Again, there's thousands of complaints on-line since 2015, guessing 100's just in this forum.
Pathetic!
there is only one way to solve this, enter regedit and turn off the file in edge. google it
Tried several methods posted online 5+ times on different macines and never sticks. The Edge updates seem to always reset. If you have something that is working I would greatly appreciate a link or instructions. Thanks, -Todd
[ADMIN EDIT: Please remember to be respectful to others in this community.] My company (which employs several former Microsoft devs) has had to spend tens of thousands of dollars to combat this issue. Microsoft AGGRESSIVELY tries to make its own apps the default for everything. And they AGGRESSIVELY develop schemes to change the ways users can access these settings, making them more difficult to find for most average users, who will either give up or pay a professional to fix it.
The above-mentioned "User Choice" was actually designed to create a conflict with any external app. By putting it in the registry, they are actually taking away user choice.
The "Edge resets the "User Choice" reg entry every time it updates... which is at least weekly. There have been numerous articles about the internal Microsoft discussions on this issue. Emails and memos have been leaked. They are caught red-handed. [ADMIN EDIT: Please remember to be respectful to others in this community.]
Agreed MonroeMullinix! I have had to switch the pdf default 2 times back to Adobe just this week. There are 1000's of complaints (business and consumer) on-line dating back to the introduction of Windows 10 on this issue. There are 39 replies to just this post. Everyone, Microsoft is playing us here and could care less about these post and complaints and they no longer answer their phones. This is clearly a Government Antitrust and Unfair Competitiveness issue that needs to be remedied by the FTC. Is there anyone out there that has experience filing a complaint with the FTC? I will look into and any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, -Todd