Stop Edge from taking control of PDF's permanently!!!

Anonymous
2021-01-20T05:56:56+00:00

I am very frustrated with Microsoft Edge continuously hijacking PDFs.  I run Adobe Acrobat and need to have the tools.  I have tried the standard ways of setting Adobe as the default program for PDFs - through Control Panel, through Properties of the file, through Open with.  None of these work for even an hour.

I have also tried a couple of hacks through Regedit that seem to work for others but not for me.

I am at the stage that if i could I would uninstall Edge.

So, how can I permanently set Adobe as the default program for PDFs?

Microsoft Edge | Read PDFs | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-02-16T05:16:11+00:00

    The Adobe forums haven't been able to help with this either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-17T17:04:44+00:00

    In case the only idea I can contribute is to use e.g. "Windows Sysinternals Process Monitor" to capture changes to the respective registry keys and understand which program is changing them. Everything else would only be elaborate guesswork :-/

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-29T04:24:15+00:00

    With all due respect, that is just spin.

    I have the same problem, in that I set Adobe and Chrome as defaults for pdf and htm files - through Control Panel - and, sometimes within hours, they revert to Edge.  I have just had them stay correct for about two weeks, which is some sort of record.  And, no, I haven't reinstalled Adobe or Chrome or made any other changes, too busy, and far too busy to have to constantly reset Microsoft's dictatorial policies.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T00:13:40+00:00

    Hi everyone.

    Well, I have finally solved this problem on my machine.  I just reformatted my PC and reinstalled everything from scratch.  Problem solved!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T02:01:28+00:00

    Oh my. That's hopeful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments