Stop Edge from taking control of PDF's permanently!!!

Anonymous
2021-01-20T05:56:56+00:00

I am very frustrated with Microsoft Edge continuously hijacking PDFs.  I run Adobe Acrobat and need to have the tools.  I have tried the standard ways of setting Adobe as the default program for PDFs - through Control Panel, through Properties of the file, through Open with.  None of these work for even an hour.

I have also tried a couple of hacks through Regedit that seem to work for others but not for me.

I am at the stage that if i could I would uninstall Edge.

So, how can I permanently set Adobe as the default program for PDFs?

Microsoft Edge | Read PDFs | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-02-07T22:10:18+00:00

    How to Change the Default PDF Reader in Windows 10 (howtogeek.com)

    Have you tried these steps? It would be also best to contact support.microsoft.com/contactus to see a support agent is able to access your computer and troubleshoot.

    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=pdf+default+edge+how+to+remove&docid=608039650403552065&mid=15D2B071B1862DFDF3A115D2B071B1862DFDF3A1&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

    Also recommend watching this video and eradng this

    How do I stop Edge from opening PDF files? - Microsoft Community

    Hey Lester, you may press open externaly for pdfs as well

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-08T00:13:18+00:00

    A more specific analysis of the events happening.

    Thanks for going to the trouble of documenting this. What you show is exactly what I expected to be happening, as it will with any application that tries to overturn the user choice. At least you are able to prevent the program from doing it; I'm just surprised that Adobe Acrobat doesn't have a similar preference. All the documentation I could find from Adobe seems to concentrate on the reverse procedure: GPOs are available for organizations to force the PDF file association and prevent users from changing it, which is quite the opposite of what Windows tries to do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-08T00:20:12+00:00

    Does this only happen on Adobe? Does it work on any other app. Have you tried reinstalling Adobe? Tried support? I dont' think this is a edge bug

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-02-16T04:52:15+00:00

    I unchecked the PDF file association in ACDSee and that fixed it.

    Thank you very much for posting this. I must admit that the possibility of some program other than Adobe asserting itself as the default in defiance of User Choice hadn't occurred to me.


    @Lester - is this a possibility? If you open Windows Settings > Apps > Default apps > Choose default applications by file type and click on the current entry for .pdf, is there any other option than Adobe Acrobat DC?

    Thanks for the idea.  I did this but it has not solved the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-02-16T04:56:15+00:00

    Does this only happen on Adobe? Does it work on any other app. Have you tried reinstalling Adobe? Tried support? I dont' think this is a edge bug

    In my case it only happens with Adobe.  I agree that it is not an Edge issue because I have managed to remove Edge totally from my PC.  Windows now just removes the association with Adobe and leaves it with no association at all.

    I believe that Windows is the culprit.

    What I don't understand is why this only happens on my PC and not on my laptop - they both have the same software.

    Maybe a reformat might fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments