Stop Edge from taking control of PDF's permanently!!!

Anonymous
2021-01-20T05:56:56+00:00

I am very frustrated with Microsoft Edge continuously hijacking PDFs.  I run Adobe Acrobat and need to have the tools.  I have tried the standard ways of setting Adobe as the default program for PDFs - through Control Panel, through Properties of the file, through Open with.  None of these work for even an hour.

I have also tried a couple of hacks through Regedit that seem to work for others but not for me.

I am at the stage that if i could I would uninstall Edge.

So, how can I permanently set Adobe as the default program for PDFs?

Microsoft Edge | Read PDFs | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-22T02:02:56+00:00

    Hi Greg

    No problem, I will when it is resolved.

    But not yet.  I have just edited and saved a couple of PDFs using Adobe and now Edge has taken over again!  I would really just like to delete Edge as it is not of any use to me and is only causing me grief and frustration.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-01-21T05:16:39+00:00

    Lester, I'm really glad to hear this. Let me know if there's anything else.

    Also when ready please mark the post which helped most as the Answer (or Resolved), to help others. A rating is also appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-01-21T05:13:20+00:00

    Hi Greg

    Thanks for the suggestion.  I have uninstalled all Adobe products, rebooted and cleaned caches and Registry using CCleaner.  I've then reinstalled Adobe Pro DC and made sure that I did not make it the default from within the program.  Next I changed the default program association to Adobe through Control Panel | Default Programs.

    An hour down the track and it is still working.

    Let's see what happens from now on ...

    Regards

    Lester

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-01-21T03:28:24+00:00

    Hi Shawn.

    I have already tried all of the ways listed in the second link - multiple times.  

    With respect to the first link, thank I had not tried that. 

    Option 1: It was already disabled, so this didn't work.  Edge obviously ignored that.

    Option2:  I tried this, but it is still defaulting to Edge again.  It worked for maybe an hour with Adobe, then went back to Edge.

    I am at the stage that if I could I would delete Edge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-01-21T03:26:58+00:00

    That's really annoying, Lester. I had thought we'd gotten past that bug.

    In the Adobe Settings have you tried NOT setting it as default reader, just doing it in the Windows Settings alone? As strange as it sounds, this is what worked for most when this was rampant several years ago.   WIndows wouldn't recognize any default except its own, and by itself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments