Opening and reading PDF files in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I am very frustrated with Microsoft Edge continuously hijacking PDFs. I run Adobe Acrobat and need to have the tools. I have tried the standard ways of setting Adobe as the default program for PDFs - through Control Panel, through Properties of the file, through Open with. None of these work for even an hour.
I have also tried a couple of hacks through Regedit that seem to work for others but not for me.
I am at the stage that if i could I would uninstall Edge.
So, how can I permanently set Adobe as the default program for PDFs?
Opening and reading PDF files in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
In case the only idea I can contribute is to use e.g. "Windows Sysinternals Process Monitor" to capture changes to the respective registry keys and understand which program is changing them. Everything else would only be elaborate guesswork :-/
The Adobe forums haven't been able to help with this either.
Does this only happen on Adobe? Does it work on any other app. Have you tried reinstalling Adobe? Tried support? I dont' think this is a edge bug
In my case it only happens with Adobe. I agree that it is not an Edge issue because I have managed to remove Edge totally from my PC. Windows now just removes the association with Adobe and leaves it with no association at all.
I believe that Windows is the culprit.
What I don't understand is why this only happens on my PC and not on my laptop - they both have the same software.
Maybe a reformat might fix it.
I unchecked the PDF file association in ACDSee and that fixed it.
Thank you very much for posting this. I must admit that the possibility of some program other than Adobe asserting itself as the default in defiance of User Choice hadn't occurred to me.
@Lester - is this a possibility? If you open Windows Settings > Apps > Default apps > Choose default applications by file type and click on the current entry for .pdf, is there any other option than Adobe Acrobat DC?
Thanks for the idea. I did this but it has not solved the problem.
Does this only happen on Adobe? Does it work on any other app. Have you tried reinstalling Adobe? Tried support? I dont' think this is a edge bug