Stop Edge from taking control of PDF's permanently!!!

Anonymous
2021-01-20T05:56:56+00:00

I am very frustrated with Microsoft Edge continuously hijacking PDFs.  I run Adobe Acrobat and need to have the tools.  I have tried the standard ways of setting Adobe as the default program for PDFs - through Control Panel, through Properties of the file, through Open with.  None of these work for even an hour.

I have also tried a couple of hacks through Regedit that seem to work for others but not for me.

I am at the stage that if i could I would uninstall Edge.

So, how can I permanently set Adobe as the default program for PDFs?

Microsoft Edge | Read PDFs | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-06-30T02:22:42+00:00

    Hi Lester,

    I have been dealing with the exact same nonsense for the last 2 years and Microsoft has done absolutely nothing to solve. I have wasted hours on the phone and over 20 e-mails with MS support (service request number is 1495470132) with zero remedies. I had (3) freshly installed Windows 10 Home machines that both continuously change the default .pdf setting from Adobe to Edge. The last request from Microsoft was to reload the machinea which was not an option for us because we did not have (2) days to waste reloading.

    Well, I went one step further and just purchased a new Window 10 Pro machine with AMD 7 2 weeks ago with a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro and within 7 days Windows set the .pdf default back to Edge from Adobe Pro and FoxitPDF. We have also tried all of the recommendation listed in this post plus many more and none of them work. There are 100's if not 1000's of complaints online of both retail and commercial users having the same exact issues dating all the way back to 2015. This bug has existed since the beginning of Windows 10 and Microsoft has refuses to fix it.

    Greg, looking forward to hearing your feedback or recommendations? Lester, have you found any fixes on your end?

    Thanks,
    -Todd

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T02:15:11+00:00

    Well, I have the same software on my laptop and on my PC.  Everything works fine on my laptop, but the issue came up with my PC after I finally upgraded my Adobe.

    So, it was a logical conclusion (in my head anyway).

    Three weeks and no problems at all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T02:01:28+00:00

    Oh my. That's hopeful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T00:13:40+00:00

    Hi everyone.

    Well, I have finally solved this problem on my machine.  I just reformatted my PC and reinstalled everything from scratch.  Problem solved!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-04-29T04:24:15+00:00

    With all due respect, that is just spin.

    I have the same problem, in that I set Adobe and Chrome as defaults for pdf and htm files - through Control Panel - and, sometimes within hours, they revert to Edge.  I have just had them stay correct for about two weeks, which is some sort of record.  And, no, I haven't reinstalled Adobe or Chrome or made any other changes, too busy, and far too busy to have to constantly reset Microsoft's dictatorial policies.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments