Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I love using Microsoft Edge, the new version is awesome. However, I'm not able to find option in settings.
I want to open search results link to new tab as soon as I click on any link. Currently, it the link is opened in same window and I lost the search result page.
Only if I click on a button it opens in a new tab. And I could not find any setting for this purpose.
Thanks,
Nishant
Managing tabs, address bar, and search settings in Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Nishant. I'm Greg, an installation specialist, 10 years Windows MVP, and Volunteer Moderator here to help you.
Hold the Ctrl key and click the link to open in a new tab.
Hold the Shift key and click the link to open in a new page.
Hope it helps.
The original enquiry in this thread, posted more than nine months ago, was this:
I want to open search results link to new tab ...
This presumably applies to the results of a web search. How links on a search results page open is usually a setting in the search engine itself. The browser makes no distinction between these links - on a search results page - and any others. The marked answer gives a solution for all pages viewed in Edge, but it involves using the keyboard. I think the original enquirer was hoping to avoid this.
The selection is saved in a cookie. If you're signed in to the search page, it will also be saved in your profile so you don't have to make it again if you sign in on a different machine or in a different browser.
... having 200 tabs open within 2 mins of starting the browser.
What page are you starting from to make it possible for you to open 200 tabs in two minutes (allowing for a bit of exaggeration)?
If it's a search results page, in say Bing or Google, then follow the instructions in this post to change the settings in the search engine itself: https://answers.microsoft.com/thread/908a6bc3-0aaa-4079-987f-74c4c0443b78#:~:text=The%20original%20enquiry%20in%20this%20thread
Can you please share how you fixed this? I want new windows to open when I click on a link, not a new tab in the same window.
Please and thank you so much!
Hi Greg
That's a cop out not a solution.
Where in the settings can i force windows edge to open a link i click on the same tab and not a new one. I'm fed up with having 200 tabs open within 2 mins of starting the browser.