Microsoft Edge: Open links in new tab settings

Anonymous
2020-03-02T01:05:47+00:00

I love using Microsoft Edge, the new version is awesome. However, I'm not able to find option in settings.

I want to open search results link to new tab as soon as I click on any link. Currently, it the link is opened in same window and I lost the search result page.

Only if I click on a button it opens in a new tab. And I could not find any setting for this purpose.

Thanks,

Nishant

Microsoft Edge | Tabs, address bar, and search | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-02T01:19:04+00:00

Hi Nishant. I'm Greg, an installation specialist, 10 years Windows MVP, and Volunteer Moderator here to help you.

Hold the Ctrl key and click the link to open in a new tab.

Hold the Shift key and click the link to open in a new page.

Hope it helps.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-12-30T16:42:54+00:00

The original enquiry in this thread, posted more than nine months ago, was this:

I want to open search results link to new tab ...

This presumably applies to the results of a web search. How links on a search results page open is usually a setting in the search engine itself. The browser makes no distinction between these links - on a search results page - and any others. The marked answer gives a solution for all pages viewed in Edge, but it involves using the keyboard. I think the original enquirer was hoping to avoid this.

  • In Bing, go to ≡ Settings > More. The option is under Results on the Settings page.
  • In Google, the option is called Where results openat on the Settings > Search settings menu.
  • For other search pages, look around for settings that will allow you to configure this.

The selection is saved in a cookie. If you're signed in to the search page, it will also be saved in your profile so you don't have to make it again if you sign in on a different machine or in a different browser.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-11-21T23:14:13+00:00

    How do I get the opposite to happen ??  When I click on a google search link, it opens that webpage in a new tab. This just started happening. It should stay on same page and go to requested page, NOT open that site on a new tab.  I use Microsoft Edge and I am on Windows 10.

    ty

    *** Nevermind, found it, and fixed.  ty   ****

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-11-09T16:45:37+00:00

    You can obtain the results you are looking for by using Google as your search home page.

    1. go to the main Google search page
    2. in the lower right corner, click Settings
    3. in the settings page, Check to Mark "Open each selected result in a new browser window"
    4. in MS Edge, set your default search engine to Google

    Tip, if you use a Google account, it will save these settings. 

    I had been searching for this for a half hour and then I realized that this is not a behavior of the browser, but a feature of the search page. 

    I don't know if Bing has this as an option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-09-29T08:23:30+00:00

    Hi Greg,

    awesome - thanks a lot, works!

    Do you also know how to force Edge to open a URL in the same window/tab?

    Thank you!

    Michael

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments