Microsoft Edge: Open links in new tab settings

Anonymous
2020-03-02T01:05:47+00:00

I love using Microsoft Edge, the new version is awesome. However, I'm not able to find option in settings.

I want to open search results link to new tab as soon as I click on any link. Currently, it the link is opened in same window and I lost the search result page.

Only if I click on a button it opens in a new tab. And I could not find any setting for this purpose.

Thanks,

Nishant

Microsoft Edge | Tabs, address bar, and search | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-02T01:19:04+00:00

Hi Nishant. I'm Greg, an installation specialist, 10 years Windows MVP, and Volunteer Moderator here to help you.

Hold the Ctrl key and click the link to open in a new tab.

Hold the Shift key and click the link to open in a new page.

Hope it helps.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-12-30T16:42:54+00:00

The original enquiry in this thread, posted more than nine months ago, was this:

I want to open search results link to new tab ...

This presumably applies to the results of a web search. How links on a search results page open is usually a setting in the search engine itself. The browser makes no distinction between these links - on a search results page - and any others. The marked answer gives a solution for all pages viewed in Edge, but it involves using the keyboard. I think the original enquirer was hoping to avoid this.

  • In Bing, go to ≡ Settings > More. The option is under Results on the Settings page.
  • In Google, the option is called Where results openat on the Settings > Search settings menu.
  • For other search pages, look around for settings that will allow you to configure this.

The selection is saved in a cookie. If you're signed in to the search page, it will also be saved in your profile so you don't have to make it again if you sign in on a different machine or in a different browser.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-12-30T21:50:54+00:00

    That was the issue. Thank you very much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-12-30T14:26:24+00:00

    Thanks, Ikwdken but I think I have a different version of Edge. Mine is the Chromium Version 87.0.664.66 (Official build) (64-bit).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-30T01:02:58+00:00

    It just happened to me!  Update and bingo!  Here's the fix: left click on bars in the upper right corner - next to the bell.  Go to settings>more and don't forget to click save at the bottom.  Looks like they moved the control to the search engine from the browser.  You can always open tabs with a right click.  I was right clicking the bars and got the wrong options.  Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments