Microsoft Edge: Open links in new tab settings

Anonymous
2020-03-02T01:05:47+00:00

I love using Microsoft Edge, the new version is awesome. However, I'm not able to find option in settings.

I want to open search results link to new tab as soon as I click on any link. Currently, it the link is opened in same window and I lost the search result page.

Only if I click on a button it opens in a new tab. And I could not find any setting for this purpose.

Thanks,

Nishant

Microsoft Edge | Tabs, address bar, and search | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-02T01:19:04+00:00

Hi Nishant. I'm Greg, an installation specialist, 10 years Windows MVP, and Volunteer Moderator here to help you.

Hold the Ctrl key and click the link to open in a new tab.

Hold the Shift key and click the link to open in a new page.

Hope it helps.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-12-30T16:42:54+00:00

The original enquiry in this thread, posted more than nine months ago, was this:

I want to open search results link to new tab ...

This presumably applies to the results of a web search. How links on a search results page open is usually a setting in the search engine itself. The browser makes no distinction between these links - on a search results page - and any others. The marked answer gives a solution for all pages viewed in Edge, but it involves using the keyboard. I think the original enquirer was hoping to avoid this.

  • In Bing, go to ≡ Settings > More. The option is under Results on the Settings page.
  • In Google, the option is called Where results openat on the Settings > Search settings menu.
  • For other search pages, look around for settings that will allow you to configure this.

The selection is saved in a cookie. If you're signed in to the search page, it will also be saved in your profile so you don't have to make it again if you sign in on a different machine or in a different browser.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-19T01:25:16+00:00

    I have to change search settings to put this back to what it has been like for 30years

    Hardly. Bing was released in 2009. And I think Internet Explorer first allowed for tabbed browsing with IE7, introduced in 2006.

    ... then I will return to google.

    As you'll see in the post you replied to, it's just the same in Google. Whether clicking on a link opens the linked page in the same tab or a new one is a user choice in the search engine's settings. 

    I honestly can't remember what the default setting is in either search engine; I've always ensured that results open in a new tab.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-10T12:20:46+00:00

    I'm not certain why this has changed but I would have thought with the invention of sleeping tabs to save resources this default and unwanted option by me seems to send a conflicting message. Send tabs to sleep but generate 10 or 20 unwanted tabs when you search for something, most if not all of the extra tabs are just copies of the original search.

    I have started using Bing recently because of simplicity but this change, that seems to be set to default without my consent across all my devices. I'm sorry if I have to change search settings to put this back to what it has been like for 30years then I will return to google. I don't disagree with the option just the fact that bing seems to have changed something that I do not want without informing me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-02-10T14:31:30+00:00

    How does this answer bear any relation to the question from the original thread - asking about, well.....the complete opposite ?

    Your link sent me to this inappropriate answer - please remove that hyperlink (two of them).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments