Microsoft Edge: Open links in new tab settings

Anonymous
2020-03-02T01:05:47+00:00

I love using Microsoft Edge, the new version is awesome. However, I'm not able to find option in settings.

I want to open search results link to new tab as soon as I click on any link. Currently, it the link is opened in same window and I lost the search result page.

Only if I click on a button it opens in a new tab. And I could not find any setting for this purpose.

Thanks,

Nishant

Microsoft Edge | Tabs, address bar, and search | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-02T01:19:04+00:00

Hi Nishant. I'm Greg, an installation specialist, 10 years Windows MVP, and Volunteer Moderator here to help you.

Hold the Ctrl key and click the link to open in a new tab.

Hold the Shift key and click the link to open in a new page.

Hope it helps.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-12-30T16:42:54+00:00

The original enquiry in this thread, posted more than nine months ago, was this:

I want to open search results link to new tab ...

This presumably applies to the results of a web search. How links on a search results page open is usually a setting in the search engine itself. The browser makes no distinction between these links - on a search results page - and any others. The marked answer gives a solution for all pages viewed in Edge, but it involves using the keyboard. I think the original enquirer was hoping to avoid this.

  • In Bing, go to ≡ Settings > More. The option is under Results on the Settings page.
  • In Google, the option is called Where results openat on the Settings > Search settings menu.
  • For other search pages, look around for settings that will allow you to configure this.

The selection is saved in a cookie. If you're signed in to the search page, it will also be saved in your profile so you don't have to make it again if you sign in on a different machine or in a different browser.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-28T18:35:46+00:00

    SPWilkins,

    reminds me of a line from Galbraith:

    "Under capitalism, man exploits man.****Under communism, it's just the opposite."

    whats the difference between microsoft, google and apple?

    their name

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-03-20T01:18:39+00:00

    It isn't the same with google, at least not on my computers. If I search for something on bing and click on one of the links it opens a new tab with the result, a tab that lets me go back to the original query if I don't find what I want. But I now have 2 tabs with the same query. I click on the next answer and it opens a new tab which I can then go back to the original query, so now I have 3 tabs and so on , I have had over 20 tabs just reporting the same query as I have navigated about and one tab showing current results. As far as I know this is now the default as I have not changed this as I don't want this.

    When browsers first originated you searched and then navigated to a result if this wasn't what was needed you went back and tried another, currently on bing if you do this I end up with a lot of tabs with the original query just sitting there, how is this helpful?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-03-19T00:19:00+00:00

    jFiredog's post is correct. I use Google search. Google search settings has a checkbox for "OPEN WHERE: open in new window". Check this. It actually opens in a new tab. Couple this with "Switch to new tab" Chrome extension, voila! All links (in email, web page, search results, etc) open in new tab and Edge switches to it right away. Edge (based on Chromium engine) works Chrome extensions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments