How to remove cached Microsoft Edge accounts

Anonymous
2023-03-26T13:07:54+00:00

Hello Microsoft Support Community,

I found there are some "cached" email accounts are still listing under Microsoft Edge Browser Profile > Choose an account.

These accounts are old profiles which I signed in before, however I already removed these profiles several times ( there is no signed in profiles now), and also checked Windows Control Panel > User account, no related accounts there.

And I've double checked if these accounts are signed in Office 365 Client, but none of them singed in in my computer. I tried to find them via my computer settings > Work and School accounts, even I tried to check if they are cached from Office registry Identity, however I cannot find them.

May I know how should I remove them? Please advise, any help would be appreciated !

Ps: I am using windows 11 and the latest version of Microsoft Edge !

Microsoft Edge | Profile, sync, and sign in | Windows 11

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-05-03T18:31:26+00:00

    Hello folks,

    I was struggling with the same behaviour since leaving my old company and still having old account keeping showing up in Edge.

    Finally a solution that worked for me :

    1. Killed Edge process
    2. Removed folder :%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Edge
    3. And least but not last, removed also AAD Broker accounts in: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy\AC\TokenBroker\Accounts

    A final reboot and never seen those accounts showing up.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-04-07T06:47:32+00:00

    I just gave up trouleshooting this bug, and reset the device working good, and I don't use Edge anymore, thanks for your help ~

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-26T13:09:23+00:00

    Here are the accounts I want to remove, please help

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-04-03T21:51:28+00:00

    Thanks.

    Since this is happening on two different devices(Win and macOS) I believe we'll need to troubleshoot on each device separately as Sync is specific to profiles - profile data is synced but not the profiles themselves.

    For macOS, since the "remove" option in profile settings isn't responding, I've only been able to come up with a brute-force solution. As I understand it, you'll need to remove profile data from two places.

    First, go to the launch pad app > Open Keychain Access > Select login > All Items > Find and remove all com.microsoft.oneauth.**** items.

    Next, Open the Launchpad > Open the Users folder and double-click on your user, so only those files are shown > Right-click in empty space below your files > Select "Show View Options" > Mark the check box "Show Libary Folder" > Open "Libary" folder > Open "Application Support" > "Microsoft Edge" > You should see several folders named Profile ** > Right-Click on each of these and Move to Trash. > Relauch MS Edge to test. Please let me know if you need clarification about any of these steps.

    For Windows, Since you're running Win11 and it's in Beta there could be an issue there, I'm wondering if you're on the most recent build. To check, enter "Check for Updates" in the search box of the Windows taskbar > Check for updates

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Paulo GM 72,670 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-03-26T15:44:00+00:00

    Hi Oliver, I am Paulo and I'd like to help.

    Remove them again and then delete the Profile folder in this location to see if that helps.

    %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Edge\User Data

    There should be folders like "Profile #" in there used by the accounts. Make sure to check your main profile and not delete it by right-clicking the Edge shortcut or your current profile > Properties > Shortcut tab > Target (See the image as a reference)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments