When I click on a URL Edge opens minimized on the Taskbar and flashing

Anonymous
2020-01-22T05:23:36+00:00

I have just updated to the new Edge (Chrome Look-alike).

When using the "old" Edge, it would automatically open when I clicked on a URL.  All was fine.

With the "New" Edge, when you click on a link it sits in the task bar flashing at you.  You then have to click on the flashing icon to open up Edge.

I find this very annoying and would like to know if there is a way to remedy this so that it automatically opens again.

If this is how the "New" Edge is supposed to operate, then I think it is a backward step and not progressive.

Pedro

* Original title: Microsoft Edge

Microsoft Edge | Open the browser | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-23T03:39:49+00:00

    Again, Pedro, I did not say to go to Advanced Settings in Edge. I said to go to new Edge Settings > Reset Settings, and for old Edge to Windows Settings (NOT Edge Settings) > Apps > Apps & Features > Microsoft Edge > Advanced Options > Reset or Repair.

    So there was new Edge Settings, and in case that didn't work or you went back to old Edge, in Windows Settings. Windows Settings are reached from the gear icon above the Start Button, in the Start Menu.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-23T03:35:39+00:00

    Hi Greg

    Sorry if I seemed to have upset you.  It was not intentional.  I clicked on NO where it asked if this (Your comments) had solved the problem.

    Back to the problem.  I have reverted back to the "Old" edge and following your instructions, yes there is "Advanced Features".  Nothing needs changing in this Edge.

    When I install the "New Chromium based" Edge, there is no Advanced Features to click on.  Will give it a miss for the time being, even though I like the look of it.

    For your info I am using:

    Win 10 Home

    Version 1909

    Installed 29-05-2019

    OS build 18363.592

    It up to date as of todays date.

    Once again I do apologize if I unintentionally upset you.  I will not tick the "NO" box again, and I really do appreciate all your help.

    Pedro

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-23T03:11:00+00:00

    Please read it again. Windows Settings > Apps > Apps & Features > Edge > Advanced Options > Reset or Repair.

    I also gave the path for Reset in new Edge in Settings > Reset Settings.

    Two different places to check.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-23T03:07:01+00:00

    Hi Greg

      Still no luck.  It worked a couple of times and then back to usual - just sitting in the task bar blinking.  When I click on it in the task bar, it opens with the site I had selected.

    I have been through all you have suggested, however, in Edge settings I don't have Advanced Features anywhere.

    I have thrown in the towel and reverted back to the old Edge.  No problems with that one.

    many thanks.

    A very frustated

    Pedro

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-01-22T17:18:02+00:00

    Hi Pedro -

    Did you try resetting new Edge? If not try reinstalling it from here:

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge

    If reinstalling doesn't fix it then try resetting it in Edge Settings > Reset Settings, and also from Windows Settings > Apps > Apps & Features > Edge > Advanced Options > Reset.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments