When I click on a URL Edge opens minimized on the Taskbar and flashing

Anonymous
2020-01-22T05:23:36+00:00

I have just updated to the new Edge (Chrome Look-alike).

When using the "old" Edge, it would automatically open when I clicked on a URL.  All was fine.

With the "New" Edge, when you click on a link it sits in the task bar flashing at you.  You then have to click on the flashing icon to open up Edge.

I find this very annoying and would like to know if there is a way to remedy this so that it automatically opens again.

If this is how the "New" Edge is supposed to operate, then I think it is a backward step and not progressive.

Pedro

* Original title: Microsoft Edge

Microsoft Edge | Open the browser | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-07-27T12:21:52+00:00

    If you read all the posts, there is no one reason why there is a flashing icon because everyone has tried a combination of the variables mentioned. They appear to be; Outlook, Mail, Edge,  etc.

    Charles and Pedro seem to have the same setup yet one still has flashes. I think those like me with Mail will always have that a problem.

    Of topic-I would have gotten a program with Outlook but did not know they dropped OCR from 2019 and only wanted Word at the time. I did not expect this flimsy Mail which is insecure and flawed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-07-27T00:56:57+00:00

    H Charliesbutterfly

    Your problem is the flashing Edge in the taskbar.

    Seriously - I uninstalled New Edge, changed from Mail to Outlook and then reinstalled New Edge as my default browser.  Make sure you update/check for updates for the New Edge.

    I have not had a problem since.

    Pedro

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-07-26T23:54:27+00:00

    I have the same flashing taskbar issue, Edge-new is my default and I do not use Mail, I use Outlook. So what's my problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-16T12:41:14+00:00

    Ok, Pedro I will.

    The last update messed up many things. I did a Macrium recovery and have paused updates.  

    Macrium is upset at Windows for messing with their program.

    Do the best you can.

    Peter

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-16T12:05:21+00:00

    Hi Pete

    I have Office 2016 Professional which has all the Office Apps including Outlook.

    I could use Chrome but I don't like it.  I don't believe you can control it fully and too much info seems to leak to them.  Oh well, guess that is the Internet.

    I am sure there must be a free Outlook programme out there somewhere.  It used to be free until Windows started pushing Mail.

    See how you go with a search

    Pedro

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments