Launching Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have just updated to the new Edge (Chrome Look-alike).
When using the "old" Edge, it would automatically open when I clicked on a URL. All was fine.
With the "New" Edge, when you click on a link it sits in the task bar flashing at you. You then have to click on the flashing icon to open up Edge.
I find this very annoying and would like to know if there is a way to remedy this so that it automatically opens again.
If this is how the "New" Edge is supposed to operate, then I think it is a backward step and not progressive.
Pedro
* Original title: Microsoft Edge
Launching Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
Hi Greg
Thanks for your response. I followed your instructions and ended up deleting Edge.
I am now back to the "Old" Edge.
The "new" Chromium based version which became available on the 15 Jan. just refused to open in the manner in which it should have.
Will wait and see if there is an automatic update further into the year.
Pedro
Hi Pedro. I'm Greg, an installation specialist and 9 year Windows MVP, here to help you.
This is not how it's supposed to work. My links in new Edge open in the same tab by default.
If yours is different then for New Edge try resetting it Edge Settings > Reset to Defaults, or for Old Edge in Settings > Apps > Apps & Features > Edge > Advanced Features.
If that's not enough re-register Edge from Option 2 here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3175-apps-re...
And if that fails uninstall Edge in App settings above, restart PC, then reinstall from MS Store > My Library.
I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.
________________________________________________________
Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.