When I click on a URL Edge opens minimized on the Taskbar and flashing

Anonymous
2020-01-22T05:23:36+00:00

I have just updated to the new Edge (Chrome Look-alike).

When using the "old" Edge, it would automatically open when I clicked on a URL.  All was fine.

With the "New" Edge, when you click on a link it sits in the task bar flashing at you.  You then have to click on the flashing icon to open up Edge.

I find this very annoying and would like to know if there is a way to remedy this so that it automatically opens again.

If this is how the "New" Edge is supposed to operate, then I think it is a backward step and not progressive.

Pedro

* Original title: Microsoft Edge

Microsoft Edge | Open the browser | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2020-12-07T08:55:34+00:00

    I don't have the reset option anymore. I only have Modify or Uninstall. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, but it still doesn't work...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Greg Carmack 24,780 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2020-09-03T01:51:40+00:00

    I will give you all steps to fix Edge so at least something will work.

    Enable and make sure you have the latest version of Flash in Edge:

    https://allthings.how/how-to-enable-flash-in-new-microsoft-edge/

    https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

     Back up your Favorites first in Edge Hub (three dots top right of browser) > Favorites > Manage Favorites > Export to file.  If you can't reach Edge you can install the tiny app Manage Edge Favorites here: http://www.emmet-gray.com/Articles/EdgeManage.html to do this, which also gives Edge all of the Favorites Management enjoyed in Internet Explorer.

    You can reset new Edge in Edge Settings > Reset Settings;  for old Edge in Settings > Apps > Apps and Features, scroll down to Microsoft Edge, highlight it, choose Advanced Options, then Repair, or if that fails, Reset.   

    You may still be able to go back to old Edge.  See if you can System Restore to a point before the problem began following this guide:   https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-restore-windows-10

    However there are reports that new Edge can no longer be blocked, so you may want to proactively install it side-by-side with the old Edge to preserve it:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/144061-enable-microsoft-edge-side-side-browser-experience-windows-10-a.html

     I would have several browsers on your task bar so there's always one that's best for the task.  I use Firefox, Edge and Chrome in that order of preference.  It's easy to share bookmarks between all of them in their settings under Import Favorites from another Browser, and Firefox and Chrome let you sign in to save and/or sync your Favorites on any other device you sign into.  Set the preferred browser as Default in Settings > Apps > Default Apps.  

    Firefox download:  https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

    Chrome download:  https://www.google.com/chrome/

    If nothing else helps then run a Repair Install by installing the Media Creation Tool and choosing from it to Upgrade Now.  This reinstalls Windows while saving your files, apps and settings in place, brings it up to the latest version 2004 which you need anyway and by the most stable method.   http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

    I hope this helps.  Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes.  I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    ________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer:   There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-27T20:04:29+00:00

    Windows updates are known for causing issues, There was someone, Pedro I think, who has Outlook and Edge and is fine.

    I assume you have reinstalled Edge?

    You can always remove the update or run either system restore via recovery or recover and image if you have one saved on your external drive.

    I have Used Macrium Reflect free for about 30 system recoveries without a hitch. I hope one of these works for you.

    Here is how to work on Outlook.

    Select Microsoft Office/Outlook

    Click the Change. Select the Reinstall or Repair button, click Next. Select Detect and Repair. Click Install and follow any prompts provided by the repair tool.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments