Open a specific page or pages broken since KB4023057 / KB5003173 (only works if you set Bing as the default search engine).....

Anonymous
2021-05-12T21:29:00+00:00

Since installing KB4023057 / KB5003173 the Edge 'On start up' setting of 'Open a specific page or pages' no longer works.... Well I say it no longer works... It works if you set the default search engine to Bing, anything other than Bing and it only brings up the MSN news feed (as you would normally get when you open a new tab).

This is pretty annoying, and a big issue in my opinion (forcing people into using Bing, especially with the new nag windows that you cannot get rid of).....

Microsoft Edge | Open the browser | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-12T21:42:12+00:00

    I will try as well to see if changing back  from google to bing then opens the pages specified at start up,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-12T23:52:12+00:00

    I can't reproduce this with v.90.0.818.56. With DuckDuckGo as the default search provider and about:blank as the specific start-up page, I get a completely blank page on launch.

    Which page or pages have you specified?

    Why do you suspect that the behaviour you're seeing has something to do with the default search provider?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-13T07:16:25+00:00

    I'll show with pictures....

    Image

    And my search settings

    Image

    And what I get

    Image

    Settings nag window

    Image

    In summary, it doesn't matter what I set my specific page to, if the default search engine is not set to Bing the defined page does not come up. As soon as I set the default search engine to Bing, my pages come up straight away (after a restart of edge).

    I'm also on the same Edge version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-13T07:25:45+00:00

    Doesn't work for me using about:blank either....

    And what I get

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-13T11:11:39+00:00

    OK, thanks for the pictures. Some questions:

    1. What do you do to trigger the Use Microsoft recommended browser settings dialogue? [I don't remember ever having seen it ...]
      How do you dismiss it?
      1. Click Cancel
      2. Click Confirm
      3. Deselect both options and click Confirm.
      4. Close the Settings window
    2. How do you launch the browser when you're sure no Edge processes are running?
      1. Click on the program's taskbar icon
      2. Click on another taskbar icon
      3. Click on a desktop shortcut
      4. Click on a Start screen tile
      5. Click on the start menu item
    3. After launching the browser and seeing the New Tab Page instead of your preferred page, what settings do you see under On start-up?
    4. You have an extension running. Do you see the same behaviour if you disable all extensions and then restart the browser?
    5. Do you have any third-party security software running?
      Some programs of this type may interfere with your browser or search engine choice.
    6. There is no difference in search functionality between the New Tab Page and, say, DuckDuckGo once you have set DDG as your default. Why would you rather see the DDG home page than the New Tab Page?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments