Open a specific page or pages broken since KB4023057 / KB5003173 (only works if you set Bing as the default search engine).....

Anonymous
2021-05-12T21:29:00+00:00

Since installing KB4023057 / KB5003173 the Edge 'On start up' setting of 'Open a specific page or pages' no longer works.... Well I say it no longer works... It works if you set the default search engine to Bing, anything other than Bing and it only brings up the MSN news feed (as you would normally get when you open a new tab).

This is pretty annoying, and a big issue in my opinion (forcing people into using Bing, especially with the new nag windows that you cannot get rid of).....

Microsoft Edge | Open the browser | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-28T12:26:29+00:00

    You mean you reset Edge to defaults? I just did that, but made no difference. Still will not retain my start up page as long as the default search engine is not Bing.... As soon as I change it back to Bing, poof - my designated start up page dissapears to be replaced by the new tab window.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-28T08:15:20+00:00

    mine didnt do that and now im setting it up again after i retured it to default and it seems like the problem was fixed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-28T08:08:38+00:00

    I have exactly the same problem after KB5003254 installed this morning. As soon as the machine was rebooted, Edge asked if I wanted to set Bing as the default search engine. I chose no and Edge now fails to load any startup page, instead just loading the new tab page. If I set Bing as the default search engine the startup pages load perfectly fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-28T07:24:40+00:00

    There are not enough expletives to describe how I am feeling now. Having restarted the browser upon this update, it has reverted back to being broken again.......

    I am not sure how to force that dialogue again (when you open Edge and it asks if you want to keep your settings) as it seemed to fix things (for about two minutes).....

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-28T07:21:22+00:00

    I updated on Wednesday to 21H1 and associated updates (assumed it was a patch Tuesday) and the problem persisted. However, this morning upon opening Edge it prompted me with the 'Do you want to keep your settings / Restore to Microsoft defaults' dialogue, where I selected 'keep my current settings' - and the problem is now resolved....

    Seems I am on Version 90.0.818.66, and it is now updating to Version 91.0.864.37 as I write this post (quite the numerical bump)...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments