Open a specific page or pages broken since KB4023057 / KB5003173 (only works if you set Bing as the default search engine).....

Anonymous
2021-05-12T21:29:00+00:00

Since installing KB4023057 / KB5003173 the Edge 'On start up' setting of 'Open a specific page or pages' no longer works.... Well I say it no longer works... It works if you set the default search engine to Bing, anything other than Bing and it only brings up the MSN news feed (as you would normally get when you open a new tab).

This is pretty annoying, and a big issue in my opinion (forcing people into using Bing, especially with the new nag windows that you cannot get rid of).....

Microsoft Edge | Open the browser | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-13T21:19:23+00:00

    I just made a quick video which it seems I cannot embed/upload, so have made a link instead. Basically, I open up Edge twice with DuckDuckGo as the specific page and default search engine, and get the new tab both times. Then I change back to Bing as default search engine, and the DuckDuckGo page comes up (as my chosen specific page).

    Edit: Removed link as created animated gif (posted later)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-13T16:10:03+00:00

    Interestingly, I was reading your other post regarding the right click 'search with Bing' thread, and tried to reset Edge settings.... The 'On Start up' settings did not change at all (remained with my default page to open... which does not open!)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-13T11:47:07+00:00

    I just disabled uBlock and no difference.

    Just to be clear - As soon as I select Bing as my default search engine, my desired start up page works as expected. Conversely, as soon as I change the default search engine back to DuckDuckGo (either by the settings nag window or manually with Edge settings) my start up page reverts to a new tab page (with the MSN interests feed....)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-13T11:44:26+00:00
    1. It's in the image above under settings - a nag window saying 'Web Browsing Restore Recommended'.
    2. From the taskbar icon
    3. The same as the image I posted above - my selected DuckDuckGo page (or about:blank in the second example)
    4. uBlock Origin is the only extension installed
    5. No, it is a pretty vanilla install, and I restore from an image every couple of weeks to keep it clean (my image is with no software bar Office click to run and Adobe Acrobat Professional)
    6. I just like to see a no frills page. Though I get your point. That said, I might want something else as my default

    Cheers,

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-13T11:11:39+00:00

    OK, thanks for the pictures. Some questions:

    1. What do you do to trigger the Use Microsoft recommended browser settings dialogue? [I don't remember ever having seen it ...]
      How do you dismiss it?
      1. Click Cancel
      2. Click Confirm
      3. Deselect both options and click Confirm.
      4. Close the Settings window
    2. How do you launch the browser when you're sure no Edge processes are running?
      1. Click on the program's taskbar icon
      2. Click on another taskbar icon
      3. Click on a desktop shortcut
      4. Click on a Start screen tile
      5. Click on the start menu item
    3. After launching the browser and seeing the New Tab Page instead of your preferred page, what settings do you see under On start-up?
    4. You have an extension running. Do you see the same behaviour if you disable all extensions and then restart the browser?
    5. Do you have any third-party security software running?
      Some programs of this type may interfere with your browser or search engine choice.
    6. There is no difference in search functionality between the New Tab Page and, say, DuckDuckGo once you have set DDG as your default. Why would you rather see the DDG home page than the New Tab Page?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments