Microsoft Edge keeps closing soon after opening. This is occurring after their most recent update was automatically installed around 2/10/2023. Why is this occurring?

Anonymous
2023-02-12T03:25:19+00:00

Microsoft Edge keeps closing soon after opening. This is occurring after their most recent update was automatically installed around 2/10/2023. Why is this occurring?

Microsoft Edge | Browser crashes or stops working | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T23:18:50+00:00

    I looked in Settings and under Web Browsing and it says Recommended Settings only option given is starting Edge which still starts and stops.

    I have never installed the Norton Browser or Chrome. I have only used Edge until this problem with it it starting and stopping immediately started on 11/8/2023. Since I needed a browser, I installed Mozilla Firefox.

    As I have said I am up to date on all Windows 10, Edge and Norton 360 patches. I do remember Edge notifying me of an update occurring on 11/6/23 or or 11/7/23.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T23:31:41+00:00

    Thanks for this reply. I experienced the SAME issues as you describe, starting 11/8

    I also have done ALL of the updates that microsoft ever recommends!!

    Have not found a solution, but I am now currently using Firefox.

    I've gone into settings/apps/Default Apps/Microsoft Edge

    Under that it shows every file extension that will want to open Edge, making things DIE.

    So I clicked on each of the options and told it to make the default App Firefox.

    Things seem to be working like normal now. Will see when Microsoft does another upadate

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-11T19:59:32+00:00

    I to had win 11 up to date as well as Norton. on My windows 11 machine this is what I did to fix it.

    Opened file explorer to the below path: C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\MicrosoftFind "Edge" folder.Delete that folder.After i did that I click on the edge icon on my task bar to open Edge. it opened and stayed open for me.

    But some of the settings that were on it before were not the same. Ie appearance went back to initial settings as well as my vertical tab settings, probably some others that i haven't noticed yet. But all my favorites remained. I can now use Edge again on My win 11 computer. Remember this was a last ditch effort from me being so frustrated. So if you do this I can't be responsible for your particular set up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-12T01:39:27+00:00

    Thanks I really thought this was going to help... but when I go in to C:\Users\MyUsername There is no AppData\local\microsoft so There is no Edge folder in there for me to delete. I tried deleting the Edge folder in OneDrive, but that did not help. Guess my machine got set up differently...

    I will keep hunting a solution though. Meantime Firefox is working OK.

    Any ideas on where else I can look??

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-11-12T03:02:19+00:00

    Sorry for not being clear enough. When you login to windows you have a name that you would use to log in with. I mean you would use that name. In your case it might some form of you IE "JohnK" as an example.

    if you were to just type the following in the file explorer C:\Users\ you should get a list of the possible user names. you would then pick the one that you use to log in and replace Yourusername with that one. So if your log in name is JohnK you would replace with that instead. so it would be:

    C:\Users\JohnK\AppData\Local\Microsoft

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments