Microsoft Edge keeps closing soon after opening. This is occurring after their most recent update was automatically installed around 2/10/2023. Why is this occurring?

Anonymous
2023-02-12T03:25:19+00:00

Microsoft Edge keeps closing soon after opening. This is occurring after their most recent update was automatically installed around 2/10/2023. Why is this occurring?

Microsoft Edge | Browser crashes or stops working | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-02-12T04:23:24+00:00

    Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is Bernard a Windows fan like you. I'll be happy to help you out today.

    I understand the issue you have, nothing to worry I am here to help, we need to re-calibrate the edge and repair it so that we can fix the issue, kindly follow the steps below:

    Method 1. Repair Microsoft Edge

    Go to Settings > Apps > Apps & Features

    Scroll down and look for Microsoft Edge

    Click on Edge> Click Modify

    Then follow the prompts to repair.

    Method 2. Repair Windows Store and apps (Such as Edge):

    On Powershell(admin), copy and paste the command below:

    Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

    Then hit Enter, once the process is done, restart the PC and check.

    Method 3. repair Windows Store and update components

    Open Powershell with Admin or CMD with Admin (Press Windows key + X then click Windows Powershell(Admin))

    Copy each line of command to Powershell then press enter (one line at a time)

    net stop bits

    net stop wuauserv

    net stop appidsvc

    net stop cryptsvc

    Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*.*"

    rmdir %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q

    rmdir %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /S /Q

    regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll

    regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll

    regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll

    netsh winsock reset

    netsh winsock reset proxy

    net start bits

    net start wuauserv

    net start appidsvc

    net start cryptsvc

    -Once done restart the device and check.

    Let me know how it goes and I hope that helps.

    Bernard

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-02-12T05:26:56+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-02-20T10:53:33+00:00

    Hi Bernard,

    It is more serious that a fix you described. It occurs on my Windows 10 PC as well as my iPad Pro11 and my iPhone 12. There is definitely something wrong with Edge. It is now unusable.

    Regards,,

    Greg

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-03-20T23:26:40+00:00

    I tried this but the script did not ever terminate it appeared to lad around 40 images? Rather opaque. I doubt that it worked but I have exhausted all other options short of a clear rebuild of Windows 10 eugh!

    Clearly this is a known problem why dont microsoft fix it in a system update?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-08-29T01:01:56+00:00

    I don't have access to modify my copy of Edge, on my refurbished Gateway computer, so I think I need an alternative way to uninstall edge, and then reinstall a new copy of edge?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments