Microsoft Edge keeps closing soon after opening. This is occurring after their most recent update was automatically installed around 2/10/2023. Why is this occurring?

Anonymous
2023-02-12T03:25:19+00:00

Microsoft Edge keeps closing soon after opening. This is occurring after their most recent update was automatically installed around 2/10/2023. Why is this occurring?

Microsoft Edge | Browser crashes or stops working | Windows 10

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-11T19:59:32+00:00

    I to had win 11 up to date as well as Norton. on My windows 11 machine this is what I did to fix it.

    Opened file explorer to the below path: C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\MicrosoftFind "Edge" folder.Delete that folder.After i did that I click on the edge icon on my task bar to open Edge. it opened and stayed open for me.

    But some of the settings that were on it before were not the same. Ie appearance went back to initial settings as well as my vertical tab settings, probably some others that i haven't noticed yet. But all my favorites remained. I can now use Edge again on My win 11 computer. Remember this was a last ditch effort from me being so frustrated. So if you do this I can't be responsible for your particular set up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T23:31:41+00:00

    Thanks for this reply. I experienced the SAME issues as you describe, starting 11/8

    I also have done ALL of the updates that microsoft ever recommends!!

    Have not found a solution, but I am now currently using Firefox.

    I've gone into settings/apps/Default Apps/Microsoft Edge

    Under that it shows every file extension that will want to open Edge, making things DIE.

    So I clicked on each of the options and told it to make the default App Firefox.

    Things seem to be working like normal now. Will see when Microsoft does another upadate

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T23:18:50+00:00

    I looked in Settings and under Web Browsing and it says Recommended Settings only option given is starting Edge which still starts and stops.

    I have never installed the Norton Browser or Chrome. I have only used Edge until this problem with it it starting and stopping immediately started on 11/8/2023. Since I needed a browser, I installed Mozilla Firefox.

    As I have said I am up to date on all Windows 10, Edge and Norton 360 patches. I do remember Edge notifying me of an update occurring on 11/6/23 or or 11/7/23.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T19:08:42+00:00

    I seem to have found a way to fix my win 10 computer. When I go to settings, on the display that comes up, in the upper right section it has a section that says "Web Browsing" restore recommended. I know that with all the different posibilities of setups that are possible this may not be the same for all and this is only on my Win 10 computer. My laptop which is win 11 does not have this selection. so i have not been able to fix it. : ( Link to picture of my settings screen for win 10 https://imgur.com/a/4L1dYjb

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T15:30:28+00:00

    I solve the problem. Delete Norton Broser, Edge and Chrome (make sure you have an installation in you drive). Then Delete all the related files in User/ username/AppData/Local/. Then install the Chrome and Edge back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments